Ship cost somehow miscalculated

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Shorty
Engineer
Engineer

Ship cost somehow miscalculated

Post by Shorty »

somehow, ship construction cost far exceeds the stated value in the new ships menu. the listed cost is applied correctly (i assume, since the floating numbers above the depot mirror it) but at the same time a good 2-3x the normal cost vanishes in addition to this normal cost, often placing me straight into the red.

Edit: i just discovered this ties in with the MiniIN setting :day length. even with the setting to have this affect economy off, it still acts as a multiplier on vehicle purchases (and construction?)

screenshots:
Attachments
New Rondwood Transport, 6th Jan 1928 #1.JPG
(346.3 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
New Rondwood Transport, 5th Jan 1928 #1.JPG
(338.81 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Last edited by Shorty on 19 Jul 2006 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

1) You're table breaking. Stop it. (Translation: any image wider than ~600 pixels has no business being in an [img] tag.)
2) Either attach the image, *OR* inline it in [img] tags. Don't do both.
3) You might want remove those jpg screenshots and take new screenies in png format before bobingabout shows up.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Shorty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shorty »

1 & 2 fixed. i dont have anything that can open .png's, so i avoid them. i put them in .jpg format both to save bandwidth and to accelerate the upload process. i know they arent pretty, but theyre comprehendable. im not going for artwork here.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Well, if you're just going to upload them straight out of OpenTTD, why do you need to open them in the first place? (Open can write PNGs, BTW.)

And web browser that can't open PNGs is a pretty backwards browser. (unless it's lynx, links, &c.) Ditto for any image processing program, minus the exceptions.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
gigajum
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gigajum »

Shorty wrote:1 & 2 fixed. i dont have anything that can open .png's, so i avoid them. i put them in .jpg format both to save bandwidth and to accelerate the upload process. i know they arent pretty, but theyre comprehendable. im not going for artwork here.
Yeah but what should i do with xxxxxxl pictures on which i cant cognize relevant informations, like the cost of the ship which is about 46K if i see it right. So please let openttd create png screenshots instead of jpg.

To your problem:
We know there is a bug with the costs in the game. Time to find what's the cause.
Shorty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shorty »

i have a number of screenshots, and i dont always pay attention to what filename theyre saved under. and yes, the web browser can open them, if they are on a page somewhere. trying to drag teh picture over it's executable and go Open With... crashes it.

this looks to only be a problem with MiniIN (no big surprise there) since it centres around the day length function. for some reason this acts as a multiplier to the costs, and doesnt check your bank balance against the adjusted cost, simply subtracts it.

im playing with my other settings at present, seeing if there's anything which changes or negates this effect. the button Day length affects economy appears to have no effect whatsoever.
gigajum
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gigajum »

As i said in the miniIN thread it should be removed from the miniIN branch until it has no major bugs, or is bugfree.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

it should be fixed with the latest daylength patch you can find on the miniIN topic
gigajum
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gigajum »

Then let us hope that richk updates the branch soon :)
Shorty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shorty »

yeah, i didnt realise art the time of posting this topic that it tied in with MiniIN's settings. clearly should've investigated further.

as a sideline, the game doesnt save the patch settings (at all? just for daylength?) beyond the current tycoon game. loading, abandoning, or even starting a new game (after changing the setting from the main menu) will all reset it to what it is set to in the .cfg file.
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

i can't read the red text in your screenshots.
read my signature.

you can't open PNG's eh? what OS are you running? windows 98? IE6 should be able to open them.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
Hazelrah
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hazelrah »

Alright bobbingabout, this is for you and your cause:

http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Screenshot_format

Have fun spreding the word and let me know if there is something missing (or better example pictures)

-Hazelrah
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

thats good enough for me, my signature will now become a link. however you forgot to mention that websites do not like PCX, plus the fact that windows 2000 and XP do not support this format, where windows 98 supports reading of PCX, but has no default PNG support (although i presume internet explorer when updated to version 6 will load them in a webpage, plus microsoft office or 3rd party software usually adds loading and saving capabilities aswell.)
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
dphoenix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dphoenix »

I added an optimized version of the PNG to that page, to further illustrate how much better PNG can be. I hope nobody minds.
klogg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by klogg »

I wonder why nobody ever changed the default screenshot format to png.
Most user don't decide to use bmp->jpg.
They simply want to make a screenshot to support their posting.
I'll bet the day you change the default to png is the first of
an era of freedom for the soul of bobingabout.

klogg
Shorty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shorty »

he'd go mad. it would cost his life its purpose.

the core developers know this; they intuitively sense the unease in a soul. OpenTTD is really the window to a higher state of being, and they have condescended to our plane of existance to share their enlightenment.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”