airports

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

limited modularity?

Post by Aracirion »

what about limited modularity? basically, there would be a few designs which can be customized to suit the player's needs. As most of the structure would be fixed, they should be easier to program. I have tried to make an example (see the attachment):

1) the player places a runway (dark grey) (direction of choice).
2) the player decides on which side the taxiway (light grey) should be.
3) within the red line, the player chooses where the taxiway to terminal should start, and how long that taxiway should be.
4) adjacent to the terminal-taxiway, the player can place parking spaces (yellow).

:arrow: the hangar should be placed either at the first square of taxiway or adjacent to the terminal taxiway, so that a plane that landed and has no parking space can reach it.
:arrow: the lenghth of taxiway which isnt needed to reach the terminal/hangar (blue marking in 3) determines how many planes can maximally be allowed to leave their parking space to get to take-off at a time. that ensures the way to terminal/hangar is always free.
:arrow: the plane which just landed can wait on the first square of taxiway until the way to a parking space/hangar is free.
Attachments
New-Airports-limited-modula.png
example scheme for modular airport
(21.53 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: limited modularity?

Post by RiTi »

Aracirion wrote:what about limited modularity?
I like this idea very much because in game that's the way railroad stations are already build, it will be a flexibel system to build the airports you want or need and it gives more fun to play because you made it and not the game. :)
Keep life simple...
orcaz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orcaz »

This new kind of airport will put more on our creativity.

-More fun for game! :D
Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aracirion »

coming across another post asking for town-owned airports I had this idea which would be made possible by the limited modularity idea above:

- runway is owned by town (and maybe built upon player request, with placing according to his wishes, and requiring him to invest a certain amount of money)

- terminals/parking slots are built and owned (or rented) by players (maybe with an option to rent-out some of your parking space, which again creates the option for also having shared terminals - hopefully, with a new economy 'full load' wouldn't be necessary for planes (wiki), so staying longer than needed could be dealt with (fines / confiscation of plane :) ) and make deliberately clogging of airports impossible.)

actually, owning parking slots instead of whole airports could even be possible with fixed airport design...
czerty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by czerty »

Hmm, I think adding new airports (made by dalesan?) to trunk (0.4.9 or 0.5.0....) not to miniIn (or similiar) can reduce needing for "manual creating" or AP, and this can be done very easily. (and make more time to develop modularity AP :D ).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

czerty wrote:Hmm, I think adding new airports (made by dalesan?)
Um... No.
The new airports are richk67's baby.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

:) Im a daddy :P
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

czerty wrote:Hmm, I think adding new airports (made by dalesan?) to trunk (0.4.9 or 0.5.0....) not to miniIn (or similiar) can reduce needing for "manual creating" or AP, and this can be done very easily. (and make more time to develop modularity AP :D ).
4 of the New Airports are in the trunk, and will be in 0.5.0.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
SM9T8
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SM9T8 »

richk67 wrote:
brupje wrote:if the user is to design te airport, it's really his problem if deadlocks occur, isn't it?
Given how much of a pain PBS were with players moaning that their trains were crashing when they did stupid things (like delete signals in a junction with trains still moving through them), then you can bet custom airports will suffer the same way. A zillion posts "my planes keep crashing on my custom airport". Not worth the hassle.
Thats a bit harsh i had accidents happen when I had been building on the other side of the map and occasionally when i was doing nothing at all!
NukeBuster
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NukeBuster »

I was hoping there would be a patch like this around.

The increased flexibility would be a great enhancement.
NukeBuster

Transport Empire: The Transport Empire Linux effort
Join the Transport Empire IRC channel: [url]irc://irc.oftc.net/transportempire[/url] !

OpenTTD patch(es): Password at join

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”