Tropic Station Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What variants of copper ore unloading station do you like?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2007 12:11

23%
27%
16%
19%
15%

Total votes: 62

MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

What do you mean by loading stages? That amount of wood scattered around station is proportional to actual cargo amount waiting at station?
Or some animated cranes?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

MeusH wrote:What do you mean by loading stages? That amount of wood scattered around station is proportional to actual cargo amount waiting at station?
That would be the normal definition of "loading stages". The other is better known as "animation".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

MeusH wrote:What do you mean by loading stages? That amount of wood scattered around station is proportional to actual cargo amount waiting at station?
Correct. Thats what I mean!
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

MeusH wrote:Wood loading and/or unloading station. What do you think about it?
looks nice :D but a bit shuttered :| .
MeusH wrote:Seems like I should put more into it... but more what?
Maybe some wooden spacing strips so that the logs don't touch the ground.
MeusH wrote:Also, where would you like to see company colour? Frankly I've got no idea right now where to draw it.
What about a small sign or flag in company color at the building.
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Wood station is on my workbench. I'm having some troubles with cranes, because:
yellow (typical crane colour) is too bright and creates much contrast
grey blends with background
shape - I have to try more shapes until I reach something I like.

I hope I'll show you almost finished wood station soon.

And now, cheers to XeryusTC who's about to code maize loading station :)
Attachments
maize3_parts.pcx
(28.49 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Last edited by MeusH on 09 Jan 2007 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Yes, I'm going to try to be your coder :). I hope I can try to understand NFO and make a good station at the same time ;).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

XeryusTC, try this one. You'll have 2 pcxs to play with :)
And now goodbye, I'll hop in after 20th January
Attachments
Sheds_parts.pcx
(71.44 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I've completed the sheds, but I ran into a small error in your sprites. The dark sheds have animated pixels on their walls. It looks quite psychedelic but I don't think that you wanted that ;).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Sounds like you got the wrong palette. (WIN/DOS)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

He he's used the fire cycle/water cycle pixels, I did that in the British Tram set when drawing the doors of the midland metro, when they were coded the tram drove along with it's doors flashing! :lol:
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I thought of that one too, but when I used the other palette some of the platforms were screwed :(.

Edit: a quick palette swap made sure that it didn't matter, it is still animated.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Is the artist sure he didn't use action colors, such as the brown smoke cycle?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

The problem is that sophisticated graphics utilities like PhotoShop mess things up; all great graphics artist have the same problem and they do not select animated colours by accident. The same non-animated colours turn into animated when saving the work.

What you need is PalConvert. Once you have placed the sprites in the .pcx file, run PalConvert over it, it will fix the flashing pixels. Ask DanMack, he can get you a copy.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Thank you very much, it worked :).

(I got PalConvert from here)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

OzTransLtd wrote:What you need is PalConvert. Once you have placed the sprites in the .pcx file, run PalConvert over it, it will fix the flashing pixels. Ask DanMack, he can get you a copy.
I assume that removes all action-color pixels, even if they're supposed to be there?
Image Image
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

If Photoshop causes problems, then why do people insist on using it? I have never had problems with GIMP, and I've heard that there are patches/plugins/something that make it look like Photoshop.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

MS Paint has never given me any troubles...
You don't need such an advanced tool as PhotoShop anyways...
Image Image
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

If you must use Photoshop, use this hint:

Decode any GRF. Open obtained PCX in Photoshop, erase eveything in it and save it as blank.pcx. Later, when you want to draw something, open blank.pcx and work in it.

Also, there are several TTD palettes for Photoshop in Forums, altough it's not neceserry to use palette: just paste palette (for example, from Wiki) in blank.pcx and you'll allways have allowable colours.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Wile E. Coyote wrote: Also, there are several TTD palettes for Photoshop in Forums, altough it's not neceserry to use palette: just paste palette (for example, from Wiki) in blank.pcx and you'll allways have allowable colours.
This is what I do in photoshop. I've never had too many problems with it, and most errors were caused by sloppyness on my part. It does have some useful features that are absent in MSpaint. I highly recommend it.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Wile E. Coyote wrote:Decode any GRF. Open obtained PCX in Photoshop, erase eveything in it and save it as blank.pcx. Later, when you want to draw something, open blank.pcx and work in it.
I also did this after I got problems with TrueColor PCX files, but I only need to reorder and number (loads easier) them.

Oh, and I use Photoshop because I also do some other things with it and having another program only for moving sprites is kinda useless IMO.

Anyway, this is getting offtopic. So, characteristics are shown as a real copy of the screen.
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (12.27 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

Return to “Graphics Development”