moderators please... come and close this flaming thread

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

PS : And yes, I know how to do efficient networks with crossings. Here is a small exemple of a 4 way crossing of my own, capable to handle 40 trains at the same time without any slow down (screenshot is with 50 trains, that's the limit).

http://www.tt-forums.net/download.php?id=61816
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

i'll do screenshots this evening.

but i can tell you i started another game yesterday with ukrs and my trains are like 2 times faster.

may be some settings that differ from miniin and ttdp or ottd classic... dunno.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

There is such a thing as the Edit button, you make a lot of double posts within minutes of one another.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

and what's the matter about it ? i use forums since 8 years and always did liek that. if i edit while someone is writing a reply, he will quote my incomplete post, and won't even see the change.

come on active forum, and you'll understand why editing to add things to a message is just useless.

by exemple http://forum.hardware.fr/ (currently 1700 users online)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Just because you don't "feel" like it means you can double post.

EDIT: Just add one of these, like this!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

MagicBuzz wrote:and what's the matter about it ?
The official forum rules say, IIRC, double posts are generally considered as spam, and spam is agains the forum rules. Posting spam could be rewarded with an official warning.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Lightglobe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Lightglobe »

MagicBuzz wrote:and what's the matter about it ? i use forums since 8 years and always did liek that. if i edit while someone is writing a reply, he will quote my incomplete post, and won't even see the change.

come on active forum, and you'll understand why editing to add things to a message is just useless.

I dare you to come on SomethingAwful and try that. Hope you got 10 bux.

And for its stats:
2,281 registered users logged in.
88,165 users total.

EDIT: Oh and thats offpeak numbers for users online since a large part of their userbase comes from America. Fairly sure it goes into the 4000s when all the Americans are on.
Yarr, thar princess is in 'nother castle!

[16:28] <marcf> lol cant u comine ttd and ottd
[16:29] <marcf> (please don't take me seriously)
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Purno wrote:The official forum rules say, IIRC, double posts are generally considered as spam, and spam is agains the forum rules
as i see, I don't double post (double post is writing 2 times the same thing).

i just post a new reply instead of editing my last reply. if i need to edit my previous reply, i'll do. if i want to add information about something else, that's a non-sense to edit my previous reply that is not about the same thing.

anyway. stop searching something wrong with me each time I post here. i never saw this...
and if double post is forbidden, insults too, and as i see moderators don't come or just don't care the forum chart, so :roll:
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Lightglobe wrote:I dare you to come on SomethingAwful and try that. Hope you got 10 bux.
that not about "who have the biggest".

i just say a forum is living, and on living forums, editing you last reply is a loose of time, as you got 2 ou 3 new reply while you edited, so noone will read what you added.

edit button is usefull to correct a mistake, not to add a new information. that's how i think, and i seriously habe doubts about the chart of this forum if it count my posts as spam.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Double posting is two or more posts next to each other, regardless of what the content in each post is, and whether it's duplicated or not.

So, you've just broken the rules again!
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

ok lol

then just ban SAC, because in this thread http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=27761 he made a triple post. bad guy booo!

non-sense.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

MagicBuzz wrote:
Purno wrote:The official forum rules say, IIRC, double posts are generally considered as spam, and spam is agains the forum rules
as i see, I don't double post (double post is writing 2 times the same thing).
The forum rules don't give an answer to that. So I'll give you the advantage of doubt on this one.
i just post a new reply instead of editing my last reply. if i need to edit my previous reply, i'll do. if i want to add information about something else, that's a non-sense to edit my previous reply that is not about the same thing.
In general, posting twice or more in a row is not appreciated, especially if it's only minutes afterwards. I must admit I double post too, but general there's at least a few hours between the posts, so it's more likely people will miss something when I edit.
anyway. stop searching something wrong with me each time I post here. i never saw this...
and if double post is forbidden, insults too, and as i see moderators don't come or just don't care the forum chart, so :roll:
I'm not searching for something wrong, I'm seeing something wrong. And if multiple users already said to you that double posting (whatever the exact meaning might be) is not appreciated, and if they ask you to use the edit button instead, why don't you just say "sorry, I'll do that next time" instead of coming up with a link to a completely different, unrelated forum, saying double posting is normal there?

And about the mods not posting here; They're probably busy. Even mods got a real life. If you need a moderator, you can contact one via PM or via IRC, as the official rules state, IIRC.

EDIT:
ok lol

then just ban SAC, because in this thread http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=27761 he made a triple post. bad guy booo!

non-sense.
First of all, SAC is not a guy.
Second of all, if you actually read the forum rules, you would've known that if you got a problem with another user, you should contact a moderator, instead of posting about it in public.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Purno wrote:why don't you just say "sorry, I'll do that next time" instead of coming up with a link to a completely different, unrelated forum, saying double posting is normal there?
i won't say that, as i won't change, and i'm not sorry about "double posting".

i'm just sorry to have a different approach about posting on a forum than this forum users. but i'm mostly sorry for you, being chocked by my "double posts".

that's what i tell searching something wrong. why boring me with that. after, that, you'll ask me about writing a better english ? and after ?

anyway; i won't post in this topic again, and if i come back in this section, it will be with an alt (and yes, an alt is certainely forbidden by the forum rules... sorry about this, but i'm tired about behing recieved here by a troll army).

Purno wrote:First of all, SAC is not a guy.
Second of all, if you actually read the forum rules, you would've known that if you got a problem with another user, you should contact a moderator, instead of posting about it in public.
wow, sorry sac. how could i know ?

and then i don't need a modo, you are the only one speaking about forum rules. i prefer debating. you don't ?

oh s***, i don't like what this guy does, hurry up, call the police !
why don't trying to discuss before ?
Last edited by MagicBuzz on 22 Dec 2006 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Lightglobe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Lightglobe »

MagicBuzz wrote:ok lol

non-sense.
You've got to be kidding me......

Seriously, whatever forums that allow double posting how you are doing it are just weird. It causes clutter on the forum and leads to a harder read of the thread.

And anyway, it doesn't matter what the hell you do on another forum. This isn't that forum. You follow the rules set by THIS forum. Don't be an ass about rules cause if theres one thing thats going to get you in trouble quicker than being a bit of a w*** is outright breaking the rules.
Yarr, thar princess is in 'nother castle!

[16:28] <marcf> lol cant u comine ttd and ottd
[16:29] <marcf> (please don't take me seriously)
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

MagicBuzz wrote:and what's the matter about it ? i use forums since 8 years and always did liek that. if i edit while someone is writing a reply, he will quote my incomplete post, and won't even see the change.

This is not such a big forum (don't count the spambots), so edited posts will get read. There is no need for double posting.

You also shouldn't be so hostile to someone's critisism, do you start hitting your friends because they don't like your personal dressing style? I bet you don't, so don't start flaming others here. This counts for everyone who has negative posts in this thread (meaning everyone, there are just 3 friendly posts in here), just be nice to each other (you'll gain my, and many other's, respect faster).
There is also no need for people to start yelling about newgrfs, some people just don't play with them because of various reasons. I noticed that the UKRS example turned quite out of hand. You guys don't need to convince someone to use a certain newgrf just because it features trains from your country.

There is certainly NO NEED to criticise someone's methods of making a network. I think that many of you who just started the game also used dedicated lines because you didn't know the use of signals, or only made 2 way lanes because you didn't know how to use 1-way signals (I did). Some people also like to play with big effecient networks, not with realistic low-volume networks like most TTDP players do. The only thing you could say about someone's networks is to do certain things more effecient IMO, everything else is just for your own personal playing style. Your way isn't always the best, that's a thought which most people in the west lack, even me (it gets worse the more powerfull you get).

If you guys really need to criticise something, criticise yourself and your behaviour, that's the thing that really lacks here.

My last suggestion to MagicBuzz would be: abandon this topic and start with a new one, don't follow anyone's advice, just do what you want to do. And if they start to criticise you again, be the wise one and just put it down.

Sorry if I'm being a mod here, but I really felt like saying this

EDIT: There is no need to criticise SAC's posting behaviour, there are mostly a few hours/days between 2 posts of SAC, that isn't the case with yours.
It's best to follow the advice experienced members (you can recognise them by their time around and their post count) at all times, and even better to follow the advice of a moderator.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

^^^ agreed to the above ^^^

This entire last page is solid trash, just argueing about spam, and not considering that its all just spam also.

Does double posting really matter? As long as its not the same post twice as Magic Buzz said. Its just the same as be dividing this post into two bits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say, just post some more images and stop this lame converstaion. I found the images way more interesting.

As for critisms. People need to realise that not everyone is aiming for the same goals in the game as they would be. If a person is going for realism I wouldnt critise additonal bends in the track, or low capactiy sections of the line, for example. Critisms should be made relative to the objectives of the player.

Back to ontopic, http://www.tt-forums.net//files/4way_214.png , this junction would be easier to view if the turnaround bits around the outside where outside the image, so it appeared that the track continued indefinatly. (in reference to attached), Would it be quicker for the blue line if it cut the corner under the red line, so it could take a shorter distance and have a shorter tunnel lenth?.
Attachments
junction.PNG
junction.PNG (125.33 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Ben
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

*sigh*

Right, double-posting is acceptable only if you've posted something, and then, say, a few days/weeks later, have some need to bump it (eg, you've released a new version of a graphics set, or have some more information to help someone diagnose a problem). Otherwise, please combine your posts into one message. (Accidental double-posts are OK, those can be cleaned up, although we obviously prefer it if you avoid them in the first place!).

The other thing that annoys me particularly - although isn't in the forum rules - is the fact that two of you in this topic have gone and basically erased the first page. Please don't do this. I'm almost tempted to restore those posts from last night's backup out of spite. :P If you want a topic locked for good reason, then just post one message saying so. Don't go and wipe the whole bloody thread or fill it with insults.

MagicBuzz, due to your failure to abide by forum rules, and due to the fact you've generally irritated a lot of people, I hereby issue you with a formal warning.

I'm locking this topic. MagicBuzz, if you want to start a new screenshot topic, feel free. Let's keep it civil, this time.

Return to “Screenshots”