v0.5: "train is lost"

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

KUDr wrote:richk67: please can you give me some savegame that i can load without tons of newgrf stuff? If you know how to reproduce the problem on trunk head build without obscure newgrfs, i would appreciate such savegame a lot. I would like to understand the problem and then look at it more deeply with debugger. I have played a lot with new 'train is lost' behavior, but never experienced any problem with it. Must be some railway design pattern that i don't use.
Sorry - dont have one. Ive only played on Brianetta's server since RC1 came out. Ask Brianetta for the missing grf - or just wait until I get home from work (yes, Im at work today :( ).

As for the design - its a long straight mainline at least 400 tiles long. Round trips are about 1 per year.

PS. If you want a quicker way to get the grfs, go to the OpenTTD site, and select the Brianetta Server. The grfs are listed with a hotlink to the grfs in grfcrawler. Only the pb_hovs.grf is not there (the one linked is incorrect).
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

RichK67, you can open the game and remove the GRFs via the in-game NewGRF menu (might crash the game though).
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

richk67 wrote:Only the pb_hovs.grf is not there (the one linked is incorrect).
Heh. Then your savegame is totally useless. Am I correct?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

No. If you can wait until I get home AFTER WORK then I will email you the required .grf (Im not sure if its publically distributable, as its a dev version apparently.)
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Problem solved - many thanks Sacro.
Firework Photography
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

richk67:

Sorry, i give up. Some of them i found (after half day spent collecting them), some are not accepted (probably wrong versions), some i can't find.

44440401 (pb_hovs.grf) checksum C860AE279528E08E10360CB4BE507EBE
45520102 (basic_platformsw.grf) checksum 1406B06F6475037445A944963CA6D5CE
45520004 (pgs-counw.grf) checksum FAE5D547D28D5EA8CF3148F84CEF2D8E
45520002 (pgs-freiw.grf) checksum 91BE852679BF24F3E1FB2D51D60083A3
45520003 (pgs-silvw.grf) checksum 0E5A15E514FDDC1C20721912BE8F6CF1
45520001 (pgs-subuw.grf) checksum 4F6DAB25CE0EA99584803A4C3AE77143
504E0001 (ukwaypointsw.grf) checksum F0BF75C643DBBEB0CC09029BA3E6D847

It really makes no sense for me to collect some obscure newgrfs in order to reproduce the problem that has nothing to do with them.
Mr. Wednesday
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

KUDr wrote:Seal:
Seal wrote:@KUDr:
Mr. Wednesday has it right, instead of waiting at the red sign, apparently, it immediately complains about being lost. This confused me.
--
Seal
Hmm, then there must be something wrong. Train should feel lost when stopped on red only if the red signal is two-way. It is by design because if there are two trains going against each other on two-way track and only one two-way signal is between them then those trains are really lost. They can only wait for timeout and reverse.

Is it your case?
Referring back to my diagram, now with signal notations:

Code: Select all

2-----C
       /
A-----<-2-----B
The '2's denote two-way signals. There is a depot between C and the two-way signal. There are two trains, one running between A and B and one running between A and C. When a train is between A and the split, the other one will get unhappy, rather than waiting for it to clear the signal on its branch.

I'll try to make a savegame to demonstrate, when I get a chance, which may not be for a couple of days.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

KUDr wrote:It really makes no sense for me to collect some obscure newgrfs in order to reproduce the problem that has nothing to do with them.
Ok... I'll spoon feed later.
Firework Photography
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

Mr. Wednesday:

Hmm, maybe i am on good way to understand your problem. But when trying to use your layout in practical example i always incline to use one-way signals there. If A track is bi-directional, it needs to be connected to the two-track line by two one-way signals. So signal on the B branch allows trains from A to proceed to B and the other one allows passing from C to A. Or am i missing something?

I was also thinking about the alternative that you would like to have all three tracks (A, B and C) bi-directional. But i can't get such network working anyway. There are always traffic jams. Is this your case?
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i think you must rework something

signals may not be right because i done it quickly and not tested
Attachments
2wayYdepot.PNG
2wayYdepot.PNG (53.49 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
Mr. Wednesday
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

KUDr wrote:Mr. Wednesday:

Hmm, maybe i am on good way to understand your problem. But when trying to use your layout in practical example i always incline to use one-way signals there. If A track is bi-directional, it needs to be connected to the two-track line by two one-way signals. So signal on the B branch allows trains from A to proceed to B and the other one allows passing from C to A. Or am i missing something?
With one-way signals, additional trackage would be required to allow the trains to do the return trip.
I was also thinking about the alternative that you would like to have all three tracks (A, B and C) bi-directional. But i can't get such network working anyway. There are always traffic jams. Is this your case?
I did not have jams -- at that time, I was only using two trains. When I was ready (and financed) to add more trains, I expanded the lines to two one-way tracks.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Repeat of the game where i got loads of Train is lost messages.

Removed most non-critical grfs. Left all vehicle grfs, except pb_hovs, which seemed to remove ok.

Once again, change player to yellow.
Attachments
RichK Transport, 5th Sep 2058.sav
(546.82 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Firework Photography
Chrill

Re: v0.5: "train is lost"

Post by Chrill »

Seal wrote:Hi,

I installed 0.5 of OpenTTD Yesterday and found that trains get lost very easily.

I'm was using a very simple track, 1 station to another, double rail sometimes with signposts (double) on the entrance/exit of the double rail areas.

This used to work fine, now I get messages about trains being lost.

Anyone else experiencing this?

--
Seal
I did experience this yesterday. I had two trains, on two shourt routes, and they shared one station, with one platform. Every once in a while, one of those trains ran off to the depot, and away from the platform it was supposed to go to. I had no idea why, cus it was the most simple kind of route there can be
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

Chrill wrote: I did experience this yesterday. I had two trains, on two shourt routes, and they shared one station, with one platform. Every once in a while, one of those trains ran off to the depot, and away from the platform it was supposed to go to. I had no idea why, cus it was the most simple kind of route there can be
Chrill: please look at the end of previous page how to set the rail_firstred_twoway_eol config value off, do it and try again. Then please tell me if it solved the problem.
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

richk67 wrote:Repeat of the game where i got loads of Train is lost messages.

Removed most non-critical grfs. Left all vehicle grfs, except pb_hovs, which seemed to remove ok.

Once again, change player to yellow.
---------------------------
Error!
Tried to load non-existing sprite #10458.
Probable cause: Wrong/missing NewGRFs
OK
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

KUDr wrote:
Chrill wrote: I did experience this yesterday. I had two trains, on two shourt routes, and they shared one station, with one platform. Every once in a while, one of those trains ran off to the depot, and away from the platform it was supposed to go to. I had no idea why, cus it was the most simple kind of route there can be
Chrill: please look at the end of previous page how to set the rail_firstred_twoway_eol config value off, do it and try again. Then please tell me if it solved the problem.
Well, first of all, I don't use YAPF. Secondly, I did this at a Multiplayer game yesterday, which now is gone :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

Thanks to Brianetta's support i was able to load rick67's game. Finally!

The problem seems to be that YAPF returns 'no path' in the case of first signal is red and two-way. And single two-way rail connections are used commonly in this game. I will try to suppress those messages if they happen due to 'rail_firstred_twoway_eol'.
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

Chrill wrote:Well, first of all, I don't use YAPF. Secondly, I did this at a Multiplayer game yesterday, which now is gone :P
Chrill: are you sure that server wasn't configured to use YAPF? In MP games you get settings from the server afaik.
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

r7628 /trunk/yapf/ (yapf_costrail.hpp yapf_rail.cpp): -Fix: [YAPF] suppress 'Train is lost' message if pathfinding ended on the first two-way red signal due to yapf.rail_firstred_twoway_eol option.

Tell me if it continues to happen on post r7628 builds.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”