Japanese Town Names

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

ickoonite wrote:I've finally got around to making a version which generates random names as well as reading from the list from Wikipedia, so we have a mix of both real and random names.

It would be nice, though, if the same scrutiny that is being imposed on this contribution would be imposed on those which I referred to in my previous post (French, Spanish, Swiss, Romanian and Slovakian), which, as of the current trunk, are still generating town names from a relatively small town list.
Hi, I had a look at the patch. Cannot guess at how well the random town name generator works because my Japanese is abominable, but please cut down on the real names list. ~2000 entries is just too much. Please select a few dozen town names (let's say about 50 max) and update the diff. I will apply that then.

Yes, I know there are some namegenerators that only use real town names and a small one at that as well, but that doesn't mean new generators should be allowed the same. They'll get updated in due time.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
ickoonite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ickoonite »

Darkvater wrote:Hi, I had a look at the patch. Cannot guess at how well the random town name generator works because my Japanese is abominable, but please cut down on the real names list. ~2000 entries is just too much. Please select a few dozen town names (let's say about 50 max) and update the diff. I will apply that then.
Updated as requested. My knowledge of C is more-or-less non-existent, and although this compiles, I don't know whether it is mathematically any good. There are definitely some real names that it isn't generating (and components it isn't choosing), but it is beyond me to make it any better, so this is about as good as it is going to get from me.

That said, it does work, and generates plenty of names (>3000), and that's the main thing, I suppose.
Attachments
japanese_town_names_20070226.patch.gz
Japanese Town Names patch
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”