[OTTD] Two5Kid's Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

By now, you’re probably wondering why we expanded towards Old Lewiswood. Well, the answer is simple -- I just want to show that I make mistakes too. Not all guides are perfect. The best part of a mistake is identifying and rectifying it. I took the AEC Diesel Railcar from the Pruningdore-Wrunwich line and make it travel on Menway-Old Lewiswood. In the meantime, a 0-6-0 Pannier would do for the Wrunwich line.

Well, what do you know? Within 2 months of service, the town council’s ratings went from appalling to poor.

Sidestory: In order to speed up progress, I’ve started a coal service. You could, however, rely on the passenger services to supply the income; but time is not on my side.
Attachments
A 4-6-0 engine awaiting its load
A 4-6-0 engine awaiting its load
Total Network Solutions, 27th Aug 1944.png (31.84 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
All hail the AEC Diesel Railcar!
All hail the AEC Diesel Railcar!
Total Network Solutions, 29th Feb 1944.png (31.46 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
Any dream worth having,
Is a dream worth fighting for!
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

1946-1947: Repaying the Loan
We have managed to survive the first decade, a critical point in the foundation of the company. From now onwards, we will try to ease off our debts and, hopefully, expand the network further.

Guess what? The mistake that I made with Old Lewiswood has been corrected. Now, I’m able to place a bus station and make the town grow according to my liking. Before that, time to add another carriage to the AEC. Another interesting thing to note, we got the town growing without the need for buses. Good eh?

With the rise in passenger/mail travel, it was time we double track the Wrunwich-Menway line. I’ve decided not to double track the Menway-Fort Preshaw line as there was a possibility of starting a new line away from Fort Preshaw. Now we have 3 trains traversing 4 towns, while awaiting council approval on station building at Frondingstoke Beeches.

Sidestory: PBS signals are a must in any game if you intend to ensure smoothness along your tracks. Seen here is an example of PBS, both trains are occupying the tracks which was unthinkable without PBS. The incoming train will be waiting idly allowing the outgoing to pass before entering the station. With PBS, both trains could leave and enter simultaneously.

Tip: Another cheap way of preventing the town from building across your tracks, place signals on them.
Attachments
Land bought for further expansion
Land bought for further expansion
Total Network Solutions, 16th Mar 1945.png (44.81 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Mom: Say Hi to the other train; Son: Hi! (waves excitedly)
Mom: Say Hi to the other train; Son: Hi! (waves excitedly)
Total Network Solutions, 10th Jul 1945.png (48.39 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

By the end of 1945, we started construction on a new line away from Fort Preshaw towards the small town of Nantdale (351). We are keeping the remaining £50K loan for new trains, so with the amount we have currently; I was only able to get another 0-6-0 to service the new route.

Keeping in mind of future expansion down the track, I’ve decided to start the first intertown bus service; between Nantdale and Dunminster (317) to the south. For this cross country service, we employed 2 buses, one each for each town with the orders for full load. We want the town to grow before we connect it via a train service. This is another example of how to plan ahead, especially for small (<400) towns within spitting distance of each other.

Old Lewiswood (900) has now grown into a medium-sized town, a bus service was started and it was time to expand the line. Since it was not feasible for the AEC Diesel Railcar to travel uphill, I shutdown the Menway-Old Lewiswood line and put the engine to good use by traversing on the Old Lewiswood-Nanham line. In the game, it is always a cheaper option to keep your slightly slower/underpowered locomotives instead of selling them off. You could always find a need for them later on. But bear in mind, don’t keep those whose lifespan is just a year down the road.

As you can see from the Finance window, our loan interest is around £6K per year but since I’ve started repaying for the past 2 years, it is currently at £4K per year. Not too bad, but for those of you who would prefer a harder challenge, the interest rate could be anything around £8-£12K per year. The game has been good to me too, with the coal mine producing double the initial amount; I was able to add another 4-6-0 engine for coal transport.

Tip: Try to have a space of at least 3-4 platforms wide at your industrial station. Most of them would increase production accordingly if the service provided is good.

Surprisingly, the local authority at Frondingstoke Beeches is a bunch of uptight *****, I’m still unable to get an approval from them yet. Our loan was paid off in the year 1947, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t borrow again when the time comes. Not too bad, coming from a 12-year old transport company.
Attachments
Christmas came early for me – a whopping £100K profit!
Christmas came early for me – a whopping £100K profit!
Total Network Solutions, 25th Dec 1946.png (6.06 KiB) Viewed 6308 times
Both town councils are appalled at my terraforming
Both town councils are appalled at my terraforming
Total Network Solutions, 28th Jan 1946.png (83.48 KiB) Viewed 6311 times
Small town of Nantdale with 2 empty bus stations
Small town of Nantdale with 2 empty bus stations
Total Network Solutions, 3rd Dec 1945.png (38.21 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

1948-1952: Consolidating
While we were building the coal line, we entered into Old Teedtown’s area, not surprisingly the locals were displeased. As usual, the bus station trick would help us out over here as it has done so for the past few towns. It is a good venture as we are still awaiting Frondingstoke and Old Teedtown (467) is a possible extension to the line down the road.

The newly designed Leyland Titan bus was chosen as it has a longer lifespan and a much bigger capacity than the RTL. Speed is not the main factor here as we are just running a local bus service.
Attachments
Check out the new Leyland Titan
Check out the new Leyland Titan
Total Network Solutions, 7th Jan 1948.png (33.97 KiB) Viewed 6290 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

With passengers/mail going piling up at Old Lewiswood, it was time for a change. Out goes the AEC Diesel and in come the 4-6-2 Pacific with added carriages. It was also time to introduce a bus service at Nanham. This time, we will be transferring the passengers onto the train service.

By June 1948, the town of Frondingstoke Beeches finally agreed for a spanking new train station. It was time we eased the load around Pruningdore and Guddown. I added another 4-6-0 Standard Five to the existing line, ending at Frondingstoke Beeches.

In the meantime, I’ve reduced the Fort Preshaw-Nantdale line to just Nantdale-Dunminster, hoping that it would increase the town ratings. The move was made so that I could divert the overload of passengers/mail at Fort Preshaw towards a new venture – connecting 2 stations in one go. The towns to be connected are Fort Exworth (703) and St. Malstable (1,390). The trick here is in the train orders; I will unload half capacity at both stations and picking up the new passengers/mail on the return trip.

The platform at Fort Preshaw has been redesigned; the remaining tracks are left in place for future use.
Attachments
The 4-6-2 Pacific traversing Fort Exworth and St Malstable
The 4-6-2 Pacific traversing Fort Exworth and St Malstable
Total Network Solutions, 2nd Mar 1949.png (71.97 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
The redesigned station with the old tracks lying in the undergrowth
The redesigned station with the old tracks lying in the undergrowth
Total Network Solutions, 10th Feb 1949.png (32.91 KiB) Viewed 6281 times
PBS works for junctions too!
PBS works for junctions too!
Total Network Solutions, 8th Sep 1948.png (62.04 KiB) Viewed 6281 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

I'm taking a hiatus for a week to attend a course/seminar. Going to get itchy hands while at the seminar. Hopefully, I'm not THAT addicted to OTTD.
Any dream worth having,
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Two5Kid wrote:I'm taking a hiatus for a week to attend a course/seminar. Going to get itchy hands while at the seminar. Hopefully, I'm not THAT addicted to OTTD.
You've been doing a fantastic job, I eagerly await your return :)).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

I'm back from my hiatus! Woohoo! More people joining in with their screenies, this is great! :lol:

At this point in time, the bank’s faith in us has increased. They don’t see us as a small company anymore, they feel that we could be on to something great, thus they have increased the loan limit to £300,000. If you haven’t started on connecting industries or that a couple of your trains are a bit old/slow, you could use the money now for the necessary upgrades and connections.

With the extra money, I extended the Wrunwich-Menway line towards Gartney on the west and double-tracked the line towards Old Lewiswood, which underwent a facelift.

By the turn of the century, it was time to split the existing lines. The trains that were in service could not handle the amount of passengers from 6 towns plus a few extras. But before that could be done, a few stations have to be redesigned to serve as terminus-cum-through stations. The new lines were Pruningdore-Frondingstoke Beeches and Menway-St. Malstable.

In order to double track the Menway-St. Malstable line, I had to employ buses again to improve town ratings. But first up, time to expand the Frondingstoke Beeches station and move along northwards to Old Teedtown.
Attachments
The terminus-cum-through station at Pruningdore
The terminus-cum-through station at Pruningdore
Total Network Solutions, 28th Oct 1949.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
The tracks on the north is for the new coal line awaiting council approval
The tracks on the north is for the new coal line awaiting council approval
Total Network Solutions, 10th Oct 1949.png (87.49 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
No trains/buses yet
No trains/buses yet
Total Network Solutions, 6th Oct 1949.png (43.43 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Sidestory: 1950 – 15 years down the road. My company is worth £1 million, with 11 trains and 19 road vehicles. Major spending lately has been the double tracking and the purchase of locomotives for the splitting of lines. According to the Finances below, we could be earning at least £300K per year without new construction and vehicles. We must decide now to either save up the money or continue with our expansion. Keep in mind, the lifespan of our vehicle/locomotives will be up within the next few years.
Attachments
Tycoon of the year!
Tycoon of the year!
Total Network Solutions, 31st Dec 1950.png (12.61 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
The double tracked station at Frondingstoke Beeches
The double tracked station at Frondingstoke Beeches
Total Network Solutions, 2nd Sep 1950.png (64.22 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
The under construction Menway-St. Malstable platforms
The under construction Menway-St. Malstable platforms
Total Network Solutions, 3rd Dec 1949.png (42.08 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

The next phase of building involves the Nanham-Old Lewiswood line; plans have been made to extend the line towards Liverthwaite Springs (602). Before we could do that, Nanham would have to be expanded. The town council was displeased and that left us with half of the old building still in place.

Our first diesel freight service was started at Old Lewiswood Coal Mine, supplying the Dunminster Power Station. The EE 10000 was worth its money when it recorded a profit of £12,000 per trip. It was also at this point that I realise we have left the Nantdale-Dunminster line unattended. We need to reopen the unused line which connects Nantdale to Fort Preshaw.

At the same time, due to overcrowding of passengers/mail on the Menway-St. Malstable line, we double-tracked and expanded the stations, putting another 4-6-2 Pacific into work.

Tip: Any further expansion towards new towns should have double-tracked platforms. Since in the end, you will be double-tracking it anyway.

Here are the passenger/mail lines after 5 years of consolidation:
Gartney-Wrunwich-Pruningdore-Guddown-Menway-Old Lewiswood
Pruningdore-Guddown-Frondingstoke Beeches-Old Teedtown (plans include Lewisleigh)
Menway-Fort Preshaw-Fort Exworth-St. Malstable
Fort Pewshaw-Nantdale-Dunminster-(under construction)-Old Lewiswood-Nanham-Liverthwaite Springs
Attachments
Our first diesel freight train arrives at Dunminster Power Station
Our first diesel freight train arrives at Dunminster Power Station
Total Network Solutions, 15th Mar 1952.png (63.6 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
Old and new platforms at Nanham Station
Old and new platforms at Nanham Station
Total Network Solutions, 8th Dec 1951.png (62.64 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

1953-1957: Second Phase of Expansion
Currently, the 5 passenger/mail lines and our freight services are doing well. The company took a venture into transporting goods from the Pruningdore Sawmill to the 3 major towns in the area – Guddown, Pruningdore and Menway.

For this phase, it was time to increase the number of trains for our lines. In order to do that, we need to start saving up. I took the liberty to repay my loan and wait until I have enough cash to purchase new locomotives. Another thing that you could do is streamline your trains, in other words, same engine and number of carriages.

I took this opportunity to increase my income by connecting a few industries. Hopefully, within a year or two, I’ll have the money to upgrade my locomotives.

Next up, we will finally end the Pruningdore-Old Teedtown line at Lewisleigh (1,678). The station hall was built without much complaint and we could be having passengers/mail in the years ahead. From now on, just remember to build dual-platformed stations. We have the money now, better to have the infrastructure ready rather than awaiting the town council’s approval for expansion.

The only thing holding us back from completing this network was the local authority ratings at Old Lewiswood and Dunminster. It didn’t help our cause when the tracks were meant to be built over farmlands.
Attachments
Lewisleigh Station Hall
Lewisleigh Station Hall
Total Network Solutions, 16th Apr 1955.png (87.64 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
How many vehicles in the picture?
How many vehicles in the picture?
Total Network Solutions, 10th May 1953.png (43.21 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Sidestory: There is one drawback to all these networking and expansion – the connected towns later on are still underdeveloped, stagnating at their original population whereas your connected towns have already tripled their amount. So, if you’re one of those ‘everything must be connected’ fan, it will be pretty hard and expensive to have that sort of network with the UKRS. It is not impossible but you will be burdened financially. I would say the US Set is still the most affordable. For the price of an engine in UKRS, you would already have a 3 passenger carriages and a mail van with the US Set.

August 1956 will forever be remembered as the day that my company finally completed our network by merging the Liverthwaite Springs-Old Lewiswood line with the Fort Preshaw-Dunminster line. This year also marks the introduction of the Metro-Cammell DMU passenger engine. Time for the massive upgrading works to my existing trains.
Attachments
Note how the size of the unconnected towns differ with the initial connected ones
Note how the size of the unconnected towns differ with the initial connected ones
Total Network Solutions, 11th Aug 1956.png (13.5 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
Breaking the £1 million barrier – 20 years into the game
Breaking the £1 million barrier – 20 years into the game
Total Network Solutions, 2nd Jan 1956.png (5.76 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

1958-1960: Improving Services
Following our decision to switch to diesel-powered engines, we now have a fleet of 12 7-car Metro-Cammell DMUs plying 4 lines, namely:
:arrow: Gartney-Wrunwich-Pruningdore-Guddown-Menway-Old Lewiswood
:arrow: Pruningdore-Guddown-Frondingstoke Beeches-Old Teedtown-Lewisleigh
:arrow: Menway-Fort Preshaw-Fort Exworth-St. Malstable
:arrow: Fort Pewshaw-Nantdale-Dunminster-Old Lewiswood-Nanham-Liverthwaite Springs

Besides the efficient train network, we do provide adequate station support with the bus services around town. And with that, we end this network guide. Thanks for tuning in!

P.S. I’ll still carry on the game, but on a screenshot basis.

As the game enters the £1 million mark, it will get unrealistic as you are earning a whole lot more than what you are spending. The industries will be forever churning out high grade products for you to transport. The only spending you will do would be to upgrade or add more trains to your network. You could also spend it by building industries for further connection.
Attachments
The above-named 12 passenger/mail service, powered by Metro-Cammell
The above-named 12 passenger/mail service, powered by Metro-Cammell
Total Network Solutions, 5th Jul 1957.png (4.72 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
Any dream worth having,
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I'd replace those utility vans with mail vans - it will look a lot better on the Metro-Cammells, trust me ;)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Really? I was thinking about cutting costs when I bought the utility vans. Haha! They carry more mail than the usual mail vans. I'll give your suggestion a go.
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

To finance more expansion towards the north, I started on 2 new freight services. The first one involves transporting of livestock and grain from Fort Preshaw Farm to Wronningdon Factory. Whereas the next freight service was between Fort Preshaw Forests (Yes, 2 of them) to a spanking new sawmill at Old Teedtown, totally sponsored and built by my company.

Within 1962-63, we opened up two new lines; the first one included ferrying passengers/mail away from St. Malstable towards Plesley up north. This line included stops at Frindchurch, Wronningdon and Prabourne. 4 new Metro-Cammell were built for this line. The other line involves Wronningdon with Lewisleigh, with stops at Drondhill and Old Reehall. It was also at this particular period of time that recession set in.
Attachments
A bird’s eye view of the new passenger/mail line
A bird’s eye view of the new passenger/mail line
Total Network Solutions, 28th Feb 1962.png (94.2 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
Twin lush green forests waiting our ruthless lumbering; check out the new EE 10000s
Twin lush green forests waiting our ruthless lumbering; check out the new EE 10000s
Total Network Solutions, 14th Nov 1960.png (54.73 KiB) Viewed 5772 times
The view at Fort Preshaw Valley with a 2-10-0 waiting
The view at Fort Preshaw Valley with a 2-10-0 waiting
Total Network Solutions, 16th Mar 1959.png (61.95 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Recession was quite bad for the company as we were left with trains running but goods were at an all-time low. Demand for transport services dropped and the company suffered. But during this time, I embarked on some massive ground laying for 2 new lines which I hope would drive us into the black again. The massive project created ample of working opportunities for my employees. The 2 new lines mentioned are the passenger/mail service between Lewisleigh-Nantstable-Ford Gardton and Lewisleigh-Popool-Gresstable Park-Braningville. With these 2, I’ve managed to connect all but 2 towns left on the map.

Once the recession was over, I ordered 3 EE Type 3 diesel engines to be refitted with passenger and mail carriages. These spanking new diesel engines would add speed to my transport line.
Attachments
Two popular stops – Gresstable Park and Popool
Two popular stops – Gresstable Park and Popool
Total Network Solutions, 31st Dec 1965.png (63.52 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
EE Type 3 making its stop at Nantstable Station
EE Type 3 making its stop at Nantstable Station
Total Network Solutions, 7th Mar 1965.png (39.46 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
The expanded station at Lewisleigh
The expanded station at Lewisleigh
Total Network Solutions, 6th Apr 1963.png (58.19 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

1970-1980: Electrification
1970 marked a new chapter in the company’s history as we unveiled our new electrified line at Menway Mines. 2 AEI ‘AL1’ engines were bought solely for the purpose of transporting coal, doubling our previous income with their speed and efficiency.

The company embarked on a massive project connecting 2 farms to a factory and supplying products from the factory to 3 other towns. This undertaking took a year to complete and cost the company at least £2 million, including the purchases of the electric engines.

As with all the previous games, once you have had the initial profitable lines all set up, all you have to do is just sit back and relax, the money will come pouring in and filling up your coffers. Anyone has any suggestions on how to spend the money? I tried plonking down on new industries but after a year or two, you’ll earn it all back. Tough luck for billionaires, all the money in the world, nothing to spend it on.
Attachments
The massive factory train complex at Malshaw
The massive factory train complex at Malshaw
Total Network Solutions, 14th Feb 1979.png (72.04 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
The 2 ‘AL1s’ meeting each other just outside the mine
The 2 ‘AL1s’ meeting each other just outside the mine
Total Network Solutions, 15th Apr 1970.png (50.5 KiB) Viewed 5629 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Here's the layout of the map when the company celebrated its 45th Anniversary. The only town which isn't connected is Malshaw at the upper left corner. The town expanded to fast and during the time when my popularity with the local council was at its worst.

As you can see (the southern-central part of the map), urbanization has slowly creeped in. Soon we will find ourselves without any greenery. I'm all for the 'townbuildnoroads' switch to be available for OTTD, to prevent overcrowding. In the meantime, the only idea that I have -- purchase landtiles around the town, thus 'cordoning off' the town from the outside world.
Attachments
What a view!
What a view!
Total Network Solutions, 11th Jun 1979.png (22.64 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Off Topic

Post by Two5Kid »

Here are some of my earlier, pre-forums screenshots. Haha! Was going through my old savegames, trying to free up more space by deleting them.

A game on a 128 x 128 map. Urbanization has reduced the whole island into a mess of rails, roads and buildings. I guess it was time for reclaimation of land from the sea.
Attachments
Busy area, check out the number of industries squeezed up in a small area
Busy area, check out the number of industries squeezed up in a small area
Grimhattan Transport, 17th Jun 1974.png (81.5 KiB) Viewed 5471 times
The largest city on the map
The largest city on the map
Grimhattan Transport, 13th Jun 1974.png (95.41 KiB) Viewed 5472 times
All GRFs at one station
All GRFs at one station
Grimhattan Transport, 11th Jun 1974.png (102.24 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
Any dream worth having,