Patch: Town road layout

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

skidd13 wrote:(Furthermore there is something like real-life and another big project for openttd ...) ;)
Of course, real-life comes always first :) It's the same for myself, I wish I had more time for openttd...

Your patch improves the gameplay a lot, so I hope it will find its way in the trunk when you have finished it. Keep up the good work.
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Wiki Page/Talk, Member of the OpenTTD Scenarios Team
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Patch Updated.
I'd appreciate to hear some response from testers.
I only can provide a linux-binary. So would be nice if somone could provide a win32 binary.

EDIT:
Linux binary updated 2006-04-14
Attachments
ottd_town_layout_r9623.tar.bz2
(570.2 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Last edited by skidd13 on 14 Apr 2007 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

As I cleaned my HDD and recovered 2 GB, I installed VC++ again and I compiled Win32 executables. There could be errors because I installed an older Platform SDK because I didn't want to wait for it to download.

EDIT: Remove old file.
Last edited by CMircea on 08 Apr 2007 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Thanks. At last, an executable. For some reason I uninstalled all my compiling software and never bothered to download and reinstall them again. Took up too much space, and I would probably use them once every year, if ever.

EDIT: The files are not extracted into the correct folders. Instead of directly extracting into my current OTTD folder, and overwriting the matching files, it creates a new folder (OTTD), and is unplayable. If I choose to not make the new folder, it extracts it all into one single folder, and the data files won't go to the right place. What I'm trying to say is that you should have it extract exactly like the nightlies' .zip files.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

White Rabbit wrote:EDIT: The files are not extracted into the correct folders. Instead of directly extracting into my current OTTD folder, and overwriting the matching files, it creates a new folder (OTTD), and is unplayable. If I choose to not make the new folder, it extracts it all into one single folder, and the data files won't go to the right place. What I'm trying to say is that you should have it extract exactly like the nightlies' .zip files.

EDIT 2: For some reason, this version of OTTD can't find any of the newGRFs in my openttd.cfg file. It can only access them in-game, from the newGRF menu. It is not looking in the data folder by default, which is strange. I have to add data\ manually. :(
Seems you're right.

@Desolator:
The zip file should only contain the exe and the english.lng. The rest could be used from the nightly.

The content of the zip file should look like this:
./openttd.exe
./lang/english.lng
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Oops! :oops: I also compiled it into debug mode. Well, I was kinda sleepy.
EDIT 2: For some reason, this version of OTTD can't find any of the newGRFs in my openttd.cfg file. It can only access them in-game, from the newGRF menu. It is not looking in the data folder by default, which is strange. I have to add data\ manually.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=31329

Here's it is again, fully-playable in the ACE (you need to copy the TTD graphics), changes only in the ZIP:
Last edited by CMircea on 14 Apr 2007 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

@VPN-User: I wrote your ribbed layout as an option but I think the behavior looks a bit strange. I'd prefer something like a cross-road every 8-10 squares. This would probably prevent these funny tentacles. :)

Here a screenie of the ribbed layout. Comments please.
Attachments
Muningpool Transport, 20. Mär 1974.png
(240.85 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
---
---
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Nice! But there should be some crossings, not straight lines with buildngs on both sides.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

So "final" functional version is out. After this only bugfixes and coding style things will come. Other layouts will be developed separately.

Edit: Added modified layout from VPN-User
Attachments
better_roads_vribbed.patch
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
---
---
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

What's the vribbed one for?

EDIT: Here's the zip with all lang and data files, compiled form the patch in the 1st post.
Last edited by CMircea on 14 Apr 2007 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
VPN-User
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by VPN-User »

skidd13 wrote:@VPN-User: I wrote your ribbed layout as an option but I think the behavior looks a bit strange. I'd prefer something like a cross-road every 8-10 squares. This would probably prevent these funny tentacles. :)

Here a screenie of the ribbed layout. Comments please.
That looks good!

The "Tentacles" can be avoided by trying to keep them as long as the other ones of the city. Or try to make a "circle", so the longest "Tentacle-arm" goest through the town centre and the more you go away from the center, the shorter the arms get. What about that? Screenshot attached.
Attachments
screenshot.png
"Circle"-like VPN-User Townlayout
(104.36 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Desolator wrote:What's the vribbed one for?
It's a patch for a town-layout patched trunk. It adds an extra layout (The ribbs layout from VPN-User) to the base patch.
Desolator wrote:EDIT: Here's the zip with all lang and data files, compiled form the patch in the 1st post.
Please update your first files instead of posting new ones. This saves space on the forum server and I don't need to change the links at the initial post. Thanks.

@VPN-User: Form the logical point the box or the circle max are easy solutions, but from the development point of view not. That would cause to rewrite the part of generation code wich lets the town more or less random grow. At the moment I want to continue on other things (Real Life and my other OTTD projects), so I posted my first concept. Others can continue from there. I'll look mainly after the base patch.
---
---
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Thanks Desolator. ;)

I understand why I need '\data' now too.
Last edited by White Rabbit on 11 Apr 2007 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

White Rabbit wrote:Thanks Skidd13. ;)

I understand why I need '\data' now too.
What are you talking about?
---
---
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Oops, I was talking to Desolator.
PandaMojo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PandaMojo »

Just chiming in to say HELL YES. Your work on this patch is much appreciated. I'll be testing it myself shortly I suspect :).
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Patch updated.
The town road layout no more roads has now the (intended) ability to create ghost towns (0 inhabitants) during wold generation. So players who dislike removing towns by hand have now the option to play with ghost towns.

@Desolator: Please remove/update the old binary's! Thanks.
---
---
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

skidd13 wrote:The town road layout no more roads has now the (intended) ability to create ghost towns (0 inhabitants) during wold generation. So players who dislike removing towns by hand have now the option to play with ghost towns.
I'm going to find it immensely annoying if I have to change the patch option back to "no roads" every time I start a new game...
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Compiling...done.
Attachments
Town Layout.zip
All you need.
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 415 times
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Maedhros wrote:
skidd13 wrote:The town road layout no more roads has now the (intended) ability to create ghost towns (0 inhabitants) during wold generation. So players who dislike removing towns by hand have now the option to play with ghost towns.
I'm going to find it immensely annoying if I have to change the patch option back to "no roads" every time I start a new game...
:oops: Settings flag changed.
---
---

Return to “OpenTTD Development”