Working on a fork of OpenTTD

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Working on a fork of OpenTTD

Post by Villem »

iNVERTED wrote:- Conveyor belts
What about Forklift trucks? Those are used A LOT in moving cargoes from a industry to the place of loading in small distances. All kinds of things can be handily moved by forklifts. Goods, food, and all kinds of other things including hazardous materials(like Oil). They can move anything from barrels(with a barrel clamp) to boxes stacked on a pallet. Almost any cargo applicable in TTD, can be moved by a forklift. Usually forklifts carry things from between 1 to 5 tons, though there are larger variants that carry up to 50 tons though those are mostly used around harbours, taking containers, and such.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Akalamanaia wrote:
What about Forklift trucks?
IMO these features are best to be used in animated station tiles... The user can decide to use them or not. Just as an eye candy or something... By the way, a conveyor belt with the size of a TTD tile?? :shock:
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

couldn't you save a lot of tim by using the 32bit build as a base?
No, I personally hate the 32bpp graphics. In addition, not using a palette means no palette cycling animations or recoloring. Not to mention the filesize.

Anyway, I've finished my new sprite loading code and made new icons for the rail, road and water toolboxes. See attachment.
Attachments
newicons.png
newicons.png (40.1 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

I like that VERY much.
Very much indeed.

Now I'm waiting in earnest for more magic. :D
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Toni Babelony wrote:
Akalamanaia wrote:
What about Forklift trucks?
IMO these features are best to be used in animated station tiles... The user can decide to use them or not. Just as an eye candy or something... By the way, a conveyor belt with the size of a TTD tile?? :shock:
Thats what i was getting at, having conveyor belts is a bit silly, not to mention when Forklift trucks are used A LOT more in the purpose of moving cargo from a industry, to the station, and even loading the vehicles.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

iNVERTED wrote:Currently, this is still based on the ancient revision 5929, but I'm going to port all my new code to the latest nightly available when the time comes sometime between now and releasing the source code.
No offence, but that's a pretty silly place to start. You'll have to contend with updating to the new makefile, switching to C++, major changes to bridges for a start.
I wish you luck. You'll need it.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Yeah, that's the only thing, why are you using an ancient revision? D:
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

Akalamanaia wrote:
Toni Babelony wrote:
Akalamanaia wrote:What about Forklift trucks?
Thats what i was getting at, having conveyor belts is a bit silly, not to mention when Forklift trucks are used A LOT more in the purpose of moving cargo from a industry, to the station, and even loading the vehicles.
Then you can choose conveyor belts or forklift trucks in Configure Patches. It's all just eyecandy, anyway.
peter1138 wrote:
iNVERTED wrote:Currently, this is still based on the ancient revision 5929, but I'm going to port all my new code to the latest nightly available when the time comes sometime between now and releasing the source code.
No offence, but that's a pretty silly place to start. You'll have to contend with updating to the new makefile, switching to C++, major changes to bridges for a start.
I wish you luck. You'll need it.
I'm not going to use C++, because pure C is better. Are you saying that the latest nightlies use C++? If so, I might as well just re-code all the features they added into my fork rather than the other way round.
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Aren't you taking a bit too much work there?
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

I like ambitious plans. :P
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

iNVERTED wrote:I like ambitious plans. :P
As long as you're going to implement Trams and full GRF support I'll support you! :wink:
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think you're wrong, personally. Not all unload points for industries are right there next to said industry. The station near to me used to be a passenger and freight station for local goods which would be delivered from industry in the vicinity, but was only next to one factory. To implement something that meant your industry spur had to be right next to the industry would be... well... pushing it a bit far.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I can think of a few Quarries where the loading area is a while away from the actual production site and is transported via conveyor.
Sonicelo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sonicelo »

Or maybe coal/iron ore?
Dave

Post by Dave »

How realistic do you want to make the game, though?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

As long as you're going to implement Trams and full GRF support I'll support you!
Trams are a relatively easy thing to do, I think.

and as for GRFs, I hate GRFs :roll: Hence why I made a completely new sprite loader. For customization that TTDPatch's GRFs provide, like new stations and whatnot, I think I'll probably take everything that can be customized - stations, vehicles, town buildings, industries, cargo, railtypes, I think that's the lot - and put it in external XDA files, and make an editor for them. But that comes much later.
Johnny B Goode
Director
Director

Post by Johnny B Goode »

iNVERTED wrote:Okay, I got bored of people telling me my coding style is bad. I personally think the coding style used in the openttd.com downloads is bad. So, I decided to start working on a fork with lots of stuff fixed to work much nicer...

(Side note: To anyone who's seen the various functions involving iterating over a tile area: Doesn't this look better?)

Code: Select all

ResetTileArea(t);
		while (IterateTileArea(t)) {
			// do stuff with the tile t->current here
		}
(end of side note)

And the stuff I'm planning to make:
- Long train depots (depots must be as long as the train and depot is accessible from both ends, so trains can drive through)
- Brand new GUI for building things
- Diagonal roads
- Traffic lights on roads
- Civilian cars on roads
- Bridges and tunnels for canals (though they would be damn expensive)
- Custom airports - place spare land, runways, hangars, terminals, loading bays and jetties
- Design tool (ie. copy and paste)
- New railtype - vacuum tubes
- Bridges over bridges, bridges with corners and tunnels with corners
- Four- and six-lane roads
- Curved tracks and roads
- Rotate the view
- Different gradient slopes
- RCT-style water (i.e. different depths of water that cost different amounts of money to "reclaim" as land)
- Diagonal stations
- Conveyor belts

I have to go to school now. Some screens later. Very little is done so far.
You're doing this and you're still in school? Good luck to you. I'm supporting your decision to implement trams, but give us a lot of graphics.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Sounds very ambitious indeed. Good luck, you'll need it!
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

Johnny B Goode wrote:I'm supporting your decision to implement trams, but give us a lot of graphics.
Hmm?

I'll need the graphics for the trams before I can implement them! They're not something I can draw...
Johnny B Goode
Director
Director

Post by Johnny B Goode »

iNVERTED wrote:Hmm?

I'll need the graphics for the trams before I can implement them! They're not something I can draw...
GRF Crawler has German and Serbian tram sets at the moment. The Otenko site has Hiroshima trams, but there's no place to download. :(

EDIT: You can now download the Hiroshima trams. But they aren't showing up...
Last edited by Johnny B Goode on 19 Mar 2007 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”