Working on a fork of OpenTTD

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

Screw it. I can't be arsed to post here any more when people only want to shout at me. :roll:
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

That's a real pity, as I for one was looking forward to your work, and it appears it has been ruined somewhat by some steadfast complainers. :x
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

jonty-comp wrote:That's a real pity, as I for one was looking forward to your work, and it appears it has been ruined somewhat by some steadfast complainers. :x
Agreed,

Why can't we just accept his choises of programming, even if he wants to reinvent the bycicle, it doesn't matter, maybe it will be a better bycicle maybe not. Just let him do his work and stop the jabbering about coding styles/formating. :?

I think it will be good! :D
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

iNVERTED wrote:I can't be arsed to post here any more when people only want to shout at me.
I think you're trying to get me to shut up without actually having one of us concede the point. If I don't have a point, challenge. If I do, concede. I (and, I expect, most other people here) will interpret your silence as the latter.
Mr. X wrote:even if he wants to reinvent the bycicle, it doesn't matter, maybe it will be a better bycicle maybe not. Just let him do his work and stop the jabbering about coding styles/formating.
I still don't see why GNU indent is not an option for the coding style problem. As for re-inventing the bicycle, Bob still hasn't specified whether XDA is supposed to replace the GRF container or the NFO language, so I can't say much about the likelihood of his bicycle being better than the current one.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

Dalestan, you don't need to say anything about it being better or worse, thats the whole point. The fact is, he's not using GRF, thus there actually isnt any need to discuss it. He has already made the decision, and he's set upon it. This thread is going to die from these arguments, so we'd best tone it down, I think.
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

iNVERTED wrote:Screw it. I can't be arsed to post here any more when people only want to shout at me. :roll:
i'm still with the idea that your purpose is nice, and if i remember well, they said nothing for the OTTD challenge spinoff which changes a big part of the game
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Interesting

Post by maquinista »

I think that this is a good idea. It will have some interesting features, and if someone likes it for OTTD, he can recode it into OTTD code.

I think that NFO coding, is very difficult, and something easier will be a good feature.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

What I meant by my last post was: If and when I release something I will post here again, but for now I might as well not bother continuing to argue.
Bob still hasn't specified whether XDA is supposed to replace the GRF container or the NFO language
XDA will be used not only for GRF files (i.e. BOTH the GRF container AND the NFO language), but also in the future for savegames, scenarios, etc.
phil88
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by phil88 »

This truly is an opensource community at it's best.

People, it's openttd. The code is open for anyone to do whatever the hell they like with it (pretty much). If he wants to create his own fork that breaks the main trunk's coding style and adds a bunch of stuff that a lot of people would consider risky, or bump up the system requirements a far bit for whatever reason, who cares? It happens all the time, the coding style in the current trunk isn't objectively the correct one. It is allowed to change to how the programmer wants. Granted the trunk devs have the right to not include code they don't want, but they sure can't stop other people from creating a fork. That's the whole point of opensource.

So I say, go for it, good luck. Ignore the whiners.
- Phil
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Hey, I didnt say dont do it... I just said that noone should assume it will have any bearing on anything in trunk.

I think it is always good for more programmers to learn more about OTTD internals. My own C++ coding has improved infinitely as a result of coding for OTTD. I expect iNVERTED will learn tons, and produce better patches as a result.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Well the proposed features look interesting. I hope you do work on this and release something.

Be sure to keep an eye on OpenTTD improvements and sync them with your work (and vice-versa if you find any problems).
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Bot_40
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bot_40 »

iNVERTED wrote:Screw it. I can't be arsed to post here any more when people only want to shout at me. :roll:
Instead of throwing a hissy fit, why don't you just act mature and say "I've already decided I'm doing it this way for coding practice/fun/whatever reason. Thanks for the input, but it's not needed"

Then the discussion is over and there was no need for anybody to "win" or "lose".
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

iNVERTED wrote:XDA will be used not only for GRF files (i.e. BOTH the GRF container AND the NFO language)
How do you intend to implement this?

GRF contains both sprites, which can only sanely be edited with a image processing program, and arbitrary "things". These "things" are, according to the NFO spec, either byte-coded instructions, which can only be edited with a text editor, or embedded binary data[0], which can only sanely edited the program that generated them. If XDA instructions do not exist, XDA becomes a very poor replacement for NFO, and if the XDA container does not actually contain the sprites and binary data, it isn't a container at all.

Are you planning to write your own program that is a text editor, an image editor, an audio editor, &c.? Obviously, being a binary format, you'll have to write something to convert from "human readable" to XDA, but this seems like overkill.

(I'm not asking any questions here that wouldn't have to be answered anyway; I'm just making sure that you answer the hard questions first, before you waste too much of your time on all the thousands of easy questions.)

[0] Usually audio clips. Other things (embedded 32bpp PNG sprites, for example) are also a possibility. Technically, the recolor tables are also embedded binary data, but I'm not sure what tool is best for editing them.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
dev|ant
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by dev|ant »

DaleStan wrote:Are you planning to write your own program that is a text editor, an image editor, an audio editor, &c.?
Sure he is. No really...
Other stuff...
Given that Inverted already has XDA working for adding his own sprites, he's obviously miles ahead of anything else mentioned. That he's done it without learning the intricacies of grfs and nfos is something to be applauded, not put down.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

dev|ant wrote:Given that Inverted already has XDA working for adding his own sprites, he's obviously miles ahead of anything else mentioned.
Given that the 32bpp team already has tar working for adding their own sprites, they're obviously miles ahead of ... Waitaminute. That's not true at all, is it?

There is no (documented) way to use the 32 bpp tar format to adjust vehicle properties or names, implement variational or random graphics, add or change sound effects, &c. But by your logic, since they can do simple sprite replacements ...
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

DaleStan wrote:GRF contains both sprites, which can only sanely be edited with a image processing program, and arbitrary "things". These "things" are, according to the NFO spec, either byte-coded instructions, which can only be edited with a text editor, or embedded binary data[0], which can only sanely edited the program that generated them. If XDA instructions do not exist, XDA becomes a very poor replacement for NFO, and if the XDA container does not actually contain the sprites and binary data, it isn't a container at all.
The XDA files do not contain the images themselves. The images are stored, as I said earlier, in BMP format, to be changed to PNG format, in a file with the same name as the XDA file (minus extension of course). The XDA file contains the equivalent of NFO instructions. XDA is one-to-one convertable with XML, so if you want to edit your XDA file, you convert it to XML which is human-readable, edit, convert back - practically the same as using grfcodec to encode an NFO. Alternatively, you can use a generic XDA editor, allowing you to edit the XDA file directly in a GUI.
Are you planning to write your own program that is a text editor, an image editor, an audio editor, &c.?
Yes, which is what Fusion is. tech notes on Fusion
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Inverted wrote:The XDA files do not contain the images themselves.
DaleStan wrote:if the XDA "container" does not actually contain the sprites and binary data, it isn't a container at all.
Inverted wrote:The images are stored, as I said earlier, in BMP format, to be changed to PNG format, in a file with the same name as the XDA file (minus extension of course).
And you have some graceful way of dying when the corresponding image file is missing/can't be opened, or when the XDA meta-data calls for a sprite that's outside the bounds of the image, right? Audio snippets will, I assume go into a .wav, .ogg, or .mp3 file of the same name, but where will you pack the arbitrary binary data?
Inverted wrote:The XDA file contains the equivalent of NFO instructions. XDA is one-to-one convertable with XML,

Code: Select all

<peter1138> there is a reason it's not in xml
<peter1138> anyone who takes the time to fully understand the system so they can write an xml structure realises it's not worth it
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

DaleStan wrote:

Code: Select all

<peter1138> there is a reason it's not in xml
<peter1138> anyone who takes the time to fully understand the system so they can write an xml structure realises it's not worth it
I agree that XML is not the holy grail of metadata formatting, but dismissing it out of hand is just as stupid as praising it to the heavens.
jasperthecat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jasperthecat1 »

i like all ideas

- Long train depots (depots must be as long as the train and depot is accessible from both ends, so trains can drive through)
- Brand new GUI for building things
- Diagonal roads
- Traffic lights on roads
- Civilian cars on roads
- Bridges and tunnels for canals (though they would be damn expensive)
- Custom airports - place spare land, runways, hangars, terminals, loading bays and jetties
- Design tool (ie. copy and paste)
- New railtype - vacuum tubes
- Bridges over bridges, bridges with corners and tunnels with corners
- Four- and six-lane roads
- Curved tracks and roads
- Rotate the view
- Different gradient slopes
- RCT-style water (i.e. different depths of water that cost different amounts of money to "reclaim" as land)
- Diagonal stations
- Conveyor belts

Return to “OpenTTD Development”