River graphics needed! (8bpp)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

River graphics needed! (8bpp)

Post by boekabart »

Hi GFX artists,

I made a lake+river+deep-see patch. Please it check out http://boekabart.googlepages.com/deepwater or the topic about undersea tunnels on the ottd/development forum.

To finalize this patch, we need graphics for the 'waterfall' tiles in those, and maybe sea floor graphics. Anyone interested in doing those, in oldfashioned 8bbp?
Attachments
FlowRiver (4).png
(197.65 KiB) Downloaded 1385 times
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Hmmm... I think something could be done with the canal sprites. :D
And the waterfalls need to be animated.
Cool!
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

_Ben_ posted this picture on IRC to inspire artists.

Note that the 'yellow' edge on the waterfall must be drawn in the waterfall sprite, not on the steep slope sprite in order to work with my patch. The different types of waterfall... can be done with a little mod, but let's first go for just 1 type!

Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Do you need steep-slope tiles? If water flows off a corner, does it go over the entire corner, or around it to each side, leaving a dry bit?

ie, does it behave like the left or the right side of this mis-scaled photograph?:
http://www.travelblog.org/Wallpaper/wat ... abang.html
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Brianetta wrote:Do you need steep-slope tiles? If water flows off a corner, does it go over the entire corner, or around it to each side, leaving a dry bit?
The steep tiles will never flood in the current implementation, and I intend to keep it this way, so that saves a bit of work there.
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Hi boekabart

Mountain top lakes and mountainside waterfalls in TTD, a dream come true :!: :idea:
Can the lakes be any shape or are they based on the Canal tiles :?:
Great work, Bravo :!: :!: :!:
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

I was thinking, and curvedslopes should also need their own water graphics. I can make the Niagrafalls! (Well kinda. :P )
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Mr. X wrote:I was thinking, and curvedslopes should also need their own water graphics. I can make the Niagrafalls! (Well kinda. :P )
What are curvedslopes?
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

This is a seriously cool new feature. I hope it gets into OpenTTD 0.6!
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

boekabart wrote:
Mr. X wrote:I was thinking, and curvedslopes should also need their own water graphics. I can make the Niagrafalls! (Well kinda. :P )
What are curvedslopes?
I think he means steep slopes. You've already clarified that bit. There is a problem, though - what if a slope from a lake enters a convex ground tile? One with a steep slope that slopes down from the flat half?
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Brianetta wrote:There is a problem, though - what if a slope from a lake enters a convex ground tile? One with a steep slope that slopes down from the flat half?
I find that hard to imagine... picture please?
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

No I ment it so that the previous shown image only shows water falling in just 1 direction from the opening.

But imagine something like this:

(Oops, I accidently saved it as .jpg, I can't revert it, however, letters should still be readable.) :oops:
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

i get your point, what about non-straight-down-slopes but bend/cureved ones (dunno if this is the "steep"slope:P)
your point is good, but then you get a bigger waterfall(your version is 2 -3 tiles with and the one shown is only 1.....
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

I get the idea, yes, that would be more realistic. But realize that the flow will spread out a lot like this, rather than go down straight... I don't like that, it makes modeling rivers a lot harder to do. But... how to explain the water 'avoiding' that corner on top there... a sprite with a slightly raised edge maybe, for the flooded version?
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

boekabart wrote:a sprite with a slightly raised edge maybe, for the flooded version?
Yes I think that would be the best sollution, somesort of innertile dike or something. Not fully 100% realistic but good enough. :)
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Sand bags (-:
dave_ger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dave_ger »

well in reality normally a river starts in its spring... so why don't add a special slope tile with a spring and let the river only be able to do its way with a width of 1 tile? dunno if it's possible but imo reduces some "flooding" problems (but maybe generates some other ones). As for the example above with the lake, the spring(s) could be at the coast(s).
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

dave_ger wrote:well in reality normally a river starts in its spring... so why don't add a special slope tile with a spring and let the river only be able to do its way with a width of 1 tile? dunno if it's possible but imo reduces some "flooding" problems (but maybe generates some other ones). As for the example above with the lake, the spring(s) could be at the coast(s).
Still, more downstream, a lake of this kind could develop. Problem back :)
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

I've made this, based on my newwater designs. Maybe you find it appropriate. it's in-game animated (something like this http://new.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0 )
Attachments
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg (209.77 KiB) Viewed 9136 times
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

nice finaly a good entry.
but please next time use png :wink:

Return to “Graphics Development”