River graphics needed! (8bpp)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

good, i like it :D

@Killer 11
if somebody knows how well how to use jpg he can use it, don't blame an image only for the extension
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

No. JPG is for photographs. JPG is NOT for screenshots (nor mock-screenshots) of 8bpp games. For that, you use a format that supports palettes.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

lepkka wrote:I've made this, based on my newwater designs. Maybe you find it appropriate. it's in-game animated (something like this http://new.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0 )
It's nice, but it doesn't really match the rest of the water, with the white pixel highlights.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

if you use the newwater.grf it is the surplus :D

(i think that grf should be included in openttd)
Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

Looks great!

Just one question though, with these rivers.. Can a ship actually travel up and down on them?
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

lepkka wrote:I've made this, based on my newwater designs. Maybe you find it appropriate. it's in-game animated (something like this http://new.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0 )
I do like it a lot! Looks like flowing water, actually! Do you have it for all (and I mean all) slopes... and as .grf?
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Saibot wrote:Looks great!

Just one question though, with these rivers.. Can a ship actually travel up and down on them?
i hope not, you should always make locks on leveled rivers
Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

Wolf01 wrote:
Saibot wrote:Looks great!

i hope not, you should always make locks on leveled rivers
My thoughts exaclty.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

I think it might look better if the slopes are rapids/boldery areas rather than just a smooth sheet of water. I think this because the tiles are steep; therefore it looks strange having a body of water, remain on the hill, if the water isn't held back somehow. It would also mean that there’s a good reason why ships can't go up it without locks, and it would also make it easier to show the waters movement on the slopes, and explain the lack of movement on the flat water tiles in the pools either side. It also camouflages the shading for the different slopes which is required in my opinion, because without this the water appears flat on a sloping landscape.

I made a mock up while I thought about it, and it kinda shows what I was thinking at the time! It would be nice if the water used on Lepkka's really nice smooth graphics was used, but at the same time boulders and rocks broke it up, and foam and froth emphasized the water flow.

I really like this patch, I think this is going to bring some really good things to the game play, and it should look really nice as well. Thanks Boekabart!
Attachments
River.PNG
River.PNG (302.31 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Ben
mexicoshanty
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mexicoshanty »

Ben that's a great idea. It does make more sense.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Ben_Robbins_ ... excellent. Now do all the other pieces, and put them together on a tile sheet :D

Er... please...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

wonderful, but... how the game knows to draw half a tile or not to draw it/draw entirely it?
Attachments
river.PNG
(328.6 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Wolf01 wrote:wonderful, but... how the game knows to draw half a tile or not to draw it/draw entirely it?
By looking at the surrounding tiles?
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

i don't actually think it needs to draw a half tile, the first example looked fine to me. its a massive added complexity, which i personally don't think adds enough to be worth it, but then again thats my opinion.

Love bens idea, and love the the idea of rivers a lot.
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:
I made a mock up while I thought about it, and it kinda shows what I was thinking at the time! It would be nice if the water used on Lepkka's really nice smooth graphics was used, but at the same time boulders and rocks broke it up, and foam and froth emphasized the water flow.

Thanks Boekabart!
Wow!! That is amazing Good work Ben! :D
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

I really like this patch and the awesome graphics from Ben. This would give us totally new possibilities for new maps. Perhaps the terrain generator needs some enhancements when this patch is finished to generate some of those rivers automatically.
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Wiki Page/Talk, Member of the OpenTTD Scenarios Team
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

If water flows down over steep tiles, it'll be possible to make a hill out of water. Just lower the shores of a lake. It'd look pretty odd.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Brianetta wrote:If water flows down over steep tiles, it'll be possible to make a hill out of water. Just lower the shores of a lake. It'd look pretty odd.
The code should be able to look at something and know that it's not possible... water should only be able to flow from a large source.

I would perhaps look at making it impossible to lower land around a lake or river to acheive this effect. I mean, damns aside, you don't really hear or know of companies or even governments "moving" rivers and lakes in order to construct transport routes. You tend to go around them or bridge over them.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Thanks guys! (and girls). I’m not really shore exactly how to do these, but I made 4 frames for each of the 4 straight slopes. I’m not really clear on exactly how to use action colours, and/or exactly what tiles are needed for definite. But here’s a gif of the 4 frames (mockup obviously). Here’s the individual sprites as well. There’s some obvious problems with it (large stones, colours not right etc.etc.), but I’d really like to get on with 32bpp work when I have the time, so if somebody else could take it on then that would be apprieated, and hopefully this can be used to help get started.

Once again, Great patch!...
Attachments
Water Slopes.PNG
Water Slopes.PNG (11.84 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
Water.gif
Water.gif (422.13 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Ben
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

That water.gif is amazing :shock: