River graphics needed! (8bpp)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:I’m not really clear on exactly how to use action colours
Action colors are used as any other color, you just put the action color into the image and the game will automatically start the color cycle. It's just as simple as using blue for transparency.
The water doesn't really fit in IMO. It is too dark on some slopes (due to shading?) and doesn't seem to follow the same wave pattern as the default TTD water. You seem to use only one color from the water color cycle which makes it look a bit the same, the TTD water is using different colors to have different pixels start at another moment in the cycle (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

XeryusTC wrote:
Ben_Robbins_ wrote:I’m not really clear on exactly how to use action colours
Action colors are used as any other color, you just put the action color into the image and the game will automatically start the color cycle. It's just as simple as using blue for transparency.
The water doesn't really fit in IMO. It is too dark on some slopes (due to shading?) and doesn't seem to follow the same wave pattern as the default TTD water. You seem to use only one color from the water color cycle which makes it look a bit the same, the TTD water is using different colors to have different pixels start at another moment in the cycle (Correct me if I'm wrong).
yeah, those sprites look like a good start, but it needs the use of all the water action colors.
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

I really like _Ben_'s solution... now if someone could take the sprites and the idea and make it into a GRF i can actually go on and use them in the patch!
I don't think half-tiles are necessary, but I think I do need all of the slopes for which 'brown' terrain tiles exists.
Too bad I have 0 experience with editing paletted gfx and making them into grf, or else I'd take a shot at it myself....
_Ben_, you're mockups are super awesome, that's what I had in mind when making the patch!
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

I really like Ben_Robbins_ idea of the rocks breaking the water. Unfortunately the shading is not compatible with action colors.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

I was aware that action colours are just used like any other. The problem I had was 1) there aren’t darker action colours, and 2) I wasn’t shore which colour to add to the sprite, since it’s an animated gif, I didn’t know which frame to go by.

They need work, but I personally, would prefer to see shading on the slopes, than have them all the same, but with action colours. It’s already tricky to remember that water is high up, as I’m so used to seeing it on only the base layer, so if there’s no shading I fear there may be a strange illusion, of a flat water area rising with the terrain while staying flat.

XeryusTS: I’m not shore why it ‘would’ follow the same wave pattern as the flat water tiles. There slopes, and water flows down slopes, it doesn’t just sit around!
Ben
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

XeryusTC wrote:<snip>...and doesn't seem to follow the same wave pattern as the default TTD water.
It isn't default water though, anyone could take a screenshot of water (or use four water tiles) and then cut out shapes for each direction. As Ben has stated, it's flowing downhill, while it needs to show why ships can't just mosey on up it. The rocks are brilliant for that.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

I see a new industry sollution rising: "Wild water/river rapids boating etc." :lol:

That looks extremely cool! I can only add on what previously has been said. :)
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

working on ben's idea..
much better if animated (i hope so..)
Attachments
riverflow.gif
riverflow.gif (10.47 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I think that has far too many rocks in it. It looks like someone's poisoned the fish. :p

Could you the number of rocks by half?
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Good work!
When made into a grf file, what numbers will the sprites receive? will the devs need to assign numbers? (or me as patch-maker?)
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

yes, that looked like dead fish to me too :roll:
the advantage of having too many rocks is that the pattern seems to be less repetitive
Attachments
riverflow2.gif
riverflow2.gif (11.38 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

lepkka wrote:yes, that looked like dead fish to me too :roll:
the advantage of having too many rocks is that the pattern seems to be less repetitive
looks more like a rock=slope then a water-fall......
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

It would do fine as nice and cool pavement. :P
Lepkka, you make amazing stuff, but I think this one would be fine if you made the rocks somewhat smaller and reduce the amount of them a bit. :)
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

I quite like that idea of having many rocks, but I think they need to be darker. Personally I would have liked to see the water flowing down the hills more though, as otherwise it stops being water on a slope, and starts being rocks on a slope, which already exist, although tiling doesn’t become more obvious then. But if some rocks are on the very edge of the tile, it’s less obvious. Making many smaller rocks, rather than having large ones may also help, as if you look at the East sloping tile of the 4 I made, the tiling is really obvious, because of the 1 big rock.

If there’s enough room for more than 1 variation of each tile, then I think, like the flat bumpy grass tile, there could be a range of tiles to stop the tiling looking repetitive.
Ben
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

i've got an idea to make de color cycle appear faster.. i'll try it later, let's wait boekabart solve the assigment of the sprites

less stones, more water
Attachments
riverflow3.gif
riverflow3.gif (9.92 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

lepkka wrote: less stones, more water
Very nice :)
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

lepkka wrote:..let's wait boekabart solve the assigment of the sprites
Ah, i don't know how!? Do i need to tell you sprite numbers, so you can make a grf, or the other way around?
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

The GRF boekabart wants is not a newgrf; it's a simple GRF with only the sprites and nothing more. After that boekabart can load the in OTTD and they'll 'automatically' get assigned some spriteindex.
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Rubidium wrote:The GRF boekabart wants is not a newgrf; it's a simple GRF with only the sprites and nothing more. After that boekabart can load the in OTTD and they'll 'automatically' get assigned some spriteindex.
Sounds good... But how does my patch know what spriteID's to use?
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

Might be just me, but shouldn't the tiles have a lot more 'white-water', covering most of the rocks, rather than the rocks being mostly visible? The rocks themselves don't indicate a slope, but the visuals of the water flowing over them. Not sure how possible that is in the limited space available though.

Return to “Graphics Development”