River graphics needed! (8bpp)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

may be want it climate based..
Attachments
maybe tropic
maybe tropic
green.png (6.46 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
may be arctic
may be arctic
darker.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Nickman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nickman »

looking great! :D
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

well, flash water added...
Attachments
riverflow5d2.gif
riverflow5d2.gif (55.72 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

looks nice,
but imho there are too much stones in the water. :x
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i think something like this is better
Attachments
Rte_168_waterfall_-_thumb.jpg
Rte_168_waterfall_-_thumb.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
waterfall_2.jpg
waterfall_2.jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Wolf01 wrote:i think something like this is better
We are talking about a full on river, however, not a stream. Think white water rafting, only then, you can't see the rocks. :p
huha
Engineer
Engineer

Post by huha »

It just looks horrible. As pointed out earlier, the pattern does not repeat correctly. You can see the tile's edges very clearly, which looks really bad.
Also, the rocks don't fit the game's overall graphics. They are too shallow and too many, the water splashes show lots of jaggy aliasing and generally don't look right.
I'm no graphics artist, so I can't do it better, but the current stones just don't look nice.
I like Ben_Robbins' design very much, as it fits the overall graphics style and looks good. It's not animated yet, but maybe someone could give it a try. It's not perfect, you can still see the edges a bit, but it's far better than the current "giant pebble" image.

-huha
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

I completely agree with huha.
it looks like the stones in the animated picture are divided in to 2 lanes or something, it looks bad... The stones themselves are way too dense, somehow a river so deep that you can't see it's bottom becomes a shallow little river when it goes down... it just looks very very weird.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

I do not subscribe to these points of view.
It sure looks different from the water we are used to see, but to qualify this as horrible is quite excessive, i would say.

Personally, i think it really is a step in the right direction. Maybe, as sugested a little fewer rocks, but that's it.

And the animation is soooo nice :)
Lepkka, i envy your talent :D
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

belugas wrote:I do not subscribe to these points of view.
It sure looks different from the water we are used to see, but to qualify this as horrible is quite excessive, i would say.
Got to agree with Belugas here. Guys (or girls) if your just going to criticize then maybe you should have a go at doing it yourself.

Plus thats the whole reason for GRF's, you can change them yourself.

Well done on the graphics, i think they are really good. :)
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

There are elements of it I really like, and some elements which don't work as well. The flowing water beneath is really nice, and the smooth stones are very suited, and look good. But I would have loved to see different shades for the slopes just to keep it similar to how the rest of the landscape works, although I assume this isn't possible with action colours. The white dots are nice, and they appear softer, than I had them on my mockup, which is good, but at the moment they are around the edge of the stones and don't move down hill, which although may be very hard to do I do think is worth the effort. They currently remove the flowing effect that the blue water creates, and remove the smooth stone effect. So they don't compliment other elements or work as a group yet, although individually they are nice.

I can't understand the criticisms above about bad tiling. It looks perfect to me and I can't see the tile edges at all, let alone clearly. There is one line of water running down the centre, but that’s about all I can pick out. I think the rocks are fitting because fluidity and smooth graphics do exists throughout the game. The trees are 1 example. But, maybe the darker grays used in "darker.png" are more fitting, although I prefer the colour balance in images such as the last.

Killer11: A river so deep that suddenly becomes shallow on a slope is more than just believable, its very common. Especially when the slope is at the angle that TT tiles are at. I can't recall the last time I kayaked down a 1 in 4 stretch of river that wasn't very very rocky with rapids, and shallow fast flowing water.

So in short… Criticism’s can be constructive, but a sweeping statement such as "it just looks horrible" is not needed or appropriate, and I defiantly disagree with it. Great work Lepkka, your 90% of the way there and I eagerly await seeing these ingame.
Ben
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

It might be possible to make it darker by including 'standard blue' pixels here and there (haven't tried it, just an idea).
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

AndersI wrote:It might be possible to make it darker [...]
You may be interested that I´m working on a similar new feature for TTDPatch, developed by Oskar (see TTDPatch graphics´ section). Screenshots will come soon. 8)

regards
Michael
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

I love those latest tiles to be quite honest :)

And I'm terribly sorry that I still haven't had the time to try and use that grf file in my patch and post it here... Busy busy busy...
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Sorry for the delay, but finally got around to implementing the waterfall sprites.

See here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=586625#586625 for the downloads.
Screenshot: http://www.tt-forums.net//files/waterfalls_131.png

Lepkka: the sprites are 1 pixel off, i think.
Last edited by boekabart on 16 May 2007 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

I wrote:Lepkka: the sprites are 1 pixel off, i think.
Lepkka, could you try and make a grf for the last version you posted, with the whitewater? Thanks in advance!
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

maartena wrote:Now for the big question: Will boats be able to ride the rivers, and how do they get past all them rocks! ;)
Uhm... is it at least possible to
1) let boats cross the new "higher-level" sea and
2) connect the new sea and the new lakes with canals as we are accustomed to the behaviour of "normal" water (on the standard TTD sea level)?

If not, it would be very sad. If yes, then: Mwaah! :lol: Sorry, once again: If yes, then it would be really great :D
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Red*Star wrote:
maartena wrote:Now for the big question: Will boats be able to ride the rivers, and how do they get past all them rocks! ;)
Uhm... is it at least possible to
1) let boats cross the new "higher-level" sea and
2) connect the new sea and the new lakes with canals as we are accustomed to the behaviour of "normal" water (on the standard TTD sea level)?

If not, it would be very sad. If yes, then: Mwaah! :lol: Sorry, once again: If yes, then it would be really great :D
Yes to all questions, just use locks to get them up/down.
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Thx. That's a very reason to try it ;)
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

boekabart wrote:
I wrote:Lepkka: the sprites are 1 pixel off, i think.
Lepkka, could you try and make a grf for the last version you posted, with the whitewater? Thanks in advance!
I'm on it!

Return to “Graphics Development”