Unwelcome Cargo

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Unwelcome Cargo

Post by Kolbur »

Hello,

I recently had a problem after I extended a station with new platforms. It was a station near a paper factory and all my wood trains dropped their cargo there. Unfortunately there was a wood near the station too and when I extended the station the wood got into its range. The result was that the trains began to load wood after they dropped the wood at the station because I didn't use the unload option. So how am I supposed to get rid of this wood, which the trains loaded on the drop station? I set their orders to unload, but they didn't unload the unwanted wood, because it was the same station where the wood was coming from, I assume. In the consequence the trains carried the wood all the time, lowering their capacity and the only thing I could do was to replace the waggons.
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Unwelcome Cargo

Post by T-Unit »

If trains dont pick it up it should eventually disappear. I think...
Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kolbur »

T-Unit wrote:If trains dont pick it up it should eventually disappear. I think...
No, the it's already on the trains!
Ok, I'll try again...

Wood goes from station A to station B.
Forest near B gets accidentally into the range of B.
Trains drop wood from A at B and pickup unwanted wood from B.
Trains don't drop unwanted wood from B when they return to B again.
-> Unwanted wood lowers train capacity.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

At stations B, tell the trains to 'unload'. Then they wont pick up, as far as Im aware.
Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kolbur »

Ben_K wrote:At stations B, tell the trains to 'unload'. Then they wont pick up, as far as Im aware.
I tried that. It's true, they don't pick up anymore, but they don't unload the wood from B that made it onto the trains before either.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Hmmm... they should do. Strange. I guess post a save game so that people can have a look.
hjxbf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hjxbf »

Usually they DO drop off cargo as they should. But if you "unload" a cargo type (e.g. wood) at a station that already supplies this cargo, the unloaded cargo will just be added to that amount, instead of displaying the "from XX station" message.
Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kolbur »

hjxbf wrote:Usually they DO drop off cargo as they should. But if you "unload" a cargo type (e.g. wood) at a station that already supplies this cargo, the unloaded cargo will just be added to that amount, instead of displaying the "from XX station" message.
Are you confusing unload with transfer? Because they are two entirely different orders and transfer is not an useful option here.
Buran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buran »

If your cargo is still on your wood cars, unload them ONCE on station A (according to your example). This should add the load they are carrying to the waiting cargo at station A. Then turn the "unload at A" order back into "load at A". This should work, if not you have a very odd game!
Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kolbur »

Buran wrote:If your cargo is still on your wood cars, unload them ONCE on station A (according to your example). This should add the load they are carrying to the waiting cargo at station A. Then turn the "unload at A" order back into "load at A". This should work, if not you have a very odd game!
But then the trains pick up the evil wood at A again later! :lol:
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

But the game will then class that evil wood as 'wood from A' rather than from B and should then offload it at B as normal.
Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kolbur »

Ben_K wrote:But the game will then class that evil wood as 'wood from A' rather than from B and should then offload it at B as normal.
Well, I tried it and no, it doesn't. When the evil wood is unloaded at A, the station window says "wood from A" if there already is a pile of wood. But the game remembers exactly how much is from A and how much is from B, so trains pick up the cargo and you can see in their cargo list "wood from A" as well as "wood from B" and the wood from B doesn't get unloaded at B.

Edit: Now it has become really absurd. I tried to make a little savegame (with the latest nightly and no grfs) in subarctic climate showing my point and... not a single forest was showing up on the map! :shock:
I attach a screenshot of the minimap.
Anyway, I made a savegame in normal climate. Try it and you will see the issue.
Attachments
no forests.png
no forests.png (62.89 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Evil Wood.sav
(84.92 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

Forests should be above snowline.
Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kolbur »

glx wrote:Forests should be above snowline.
Ah, I see. So the flat terrain was the reason for this. Shouldn't the terrain generator assure at least one forest?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Kolbur wrote:
glx wrote:Forests should be above snowline.
Ah, I see. So the flat terrain was the reason for this. Shouldn't the terrain generator assure at least one forest?
Prior to new industries, the industry footprint was terraformed flat if it met certain criteria (like how big a variation there was across the base). I do not know if/whether this routine survived into new industries, and so it may be that industry-site preparation is only done for the original industries.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kolbur »

*bump*
This is still a issue.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Since you can't solve it, why don't you build a new station and get rid of the damned station?
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
SoLo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SoLo »

The simple solution is to shrink the station just enough so that it doesn't collect wood any more. Then use one track and connect it to whatever industry accepts wood (sorry, I don't play artic enough to know what one uses wood). Just let that one train run the route until all of the wood is gone and delivered then sell it. May not be a profitable route, but atleast it gets rid of the wood, and the smaller station will prevent the wood from coming back.

edit:
Reread your post and it seems that the station accepts and produces wood.
Real simple fix then using what I said above.
Put a lorry station connected to the train station, make one road tile, then another lorry station near the wood accepting industry. And have the lorry go back and forth the one spot until the wood is gone. That way the one tile creates a seperate station so that the wood can be delivered to the new one via lorry.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”