[UNIV] TransRapid Track Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [WIP] TransRapid Track Set

Post by Ameecher »

Dave Worley wrote:Oh, I dunno - there'd probably be a break in the magnetic field, as per breaks in the 3rd rail.

Obviously a fair amount of speed would be required ...
The thing is with that argument is that with 3rd rail a train will just coast or still pick up power from other pick up shoes. With the transrapid style system if you turn of magnetism the train is going to hit the track. Also the physical factors of making a level crossing on transrapid track so that car wheels didn't fall into the grooves would be another conundrum. Anyway, we digress. :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Good news everybody! The first alpha version is just released to the public!

Downloads and more information can be found in the first post.

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Well done FooBar! Those look great! I'll be downloading them for a hands on looksee! :D

Seeing as how these are a replacement for the maglev graphics, I thought it might be a good idea to post some information for TTDPatch players. I don't know if these issues apply to OTTD.

If playing with the Patch and you are using electrified rails and/or narrow gauge rails, please consider the following, as these replace one of the default track types:

Electrified Rails
Patch Settings:
// `electrifiedrailway' (-XE) removes one of the magnetic track systems (Monorail or MagLev) and replaces it with an electrified railroad system.
electrifiedrailway on
// `unifiedmaglev' (-XM) makes it possible to buy monorail engines in maglev depots or vice versa. Mode: 1 - convert all maglev engines to monorail; 2 - convert all monorail engines to maglev; 3 - keep separate monorail and maglev.
unifiedmaglev 2
Narrow Gauge Rails
Some train sets have NG Rails built in.
Some train sets require the NG Rails grf (find it with GRFCrawler)
In both cases, check the sets' User Guide or Read Me files for the required settings.
The NG Rails grf by mart3p and Cornelius has parameter settings:
1 Replace normal rails (default); 2 Replace monorail; 4 Replace maglev tracks
NOTE that to have FooBar's TransRapid Tracks, you can also have electrified rails or narrow gauge, but not both.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Thanks for the information, Wallyweb (and ofcourse, thanks for downloading!).

I'll have to digg up my version of TTDPatch (I might as well get me the latest one) to see what I'll have to do to make it possible to have AND ng rails, AND elrails AND my new transrapid tracks.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

FooBar wrote:I'll have to digg up my version of TTDPatch (I might as well get me the latest one) to see what I'll have to do to make it possible to have AND ng rails, AND elrails AND my new transrapid tracks.
That, in TTDPatch? Simple: Implement newroutes.

OK, so maybe not so simple.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Without doing much, I came to this configuration:
- narrow gauge
- narrow gauge electrified
- transrapid tracks

That's close, but probably not close enough. Having narrow gauge unelectrified, normal gauge electrified and transrapid tracks at the same time doesn't seem to be possible with TTDPatch.

I haven't tried narrow gauge with OpenTTD (yet), but I don't think these restrictions apply there, as it allows you to have all four track types at the same time.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:
FooBar wrote:I'll have to digg up my version of TTDPatch (I might as well get me the latest one) to see what I'll have to do to make it possible to have AND ng rails, AND elrails AND my new transrapid tracks.
That, in TTDPatch? Simple: Implement newroutes.

OK, so maybe not so simple.
NewRoutes discussion is here
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

I've quickly tried the win grf in OpenTTD and... well... Congratulations :D
It's a real pleasure to see it going.
I'd may give a more complete testing session during weekend.
So far, thumbs up :)
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
TrueTenacity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TrueTenacity »

This set looks rather awesome... downloading now...

Just one thing... the way the Transrapid system is designed, IF the tracks were level with the ground, vehicles and trucks could quite safely cross them, the magnetic fields and electricity are only present in the segment of track that the train is in... this keeps energy costs down.

but yeah, raised track just looks sooooo much better!
I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

TrueTenacity wrote:This set looks rather awesome... downloading now...

Just one thing... the way the Transrapid system is designed, IF the tracks were level with the ground, vehicles and trucks could quite safely cross them, the magnetic fields and electricity are only present in the segment of track that the train is in... this keeps energy costs down.

but yeah, raised track just looks sooooo much better!
The problem is moreso the speed of the train, the gates would have to go down several minutes early to ensure noone tried to jump them.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Gonozal_VIII
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gonozal_VIII »

very cool tracks, i'm using them in my private collection grf :-) (bridge ramps are difficult... anything i tried to use there broke the illusion, so i just used the track without support)
Attachments
0.png
0.png (155.44 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Very nice. You even customized the buttons!

As I can see, a complete new set of bridges needs to be drawn. These indeed break the illusion.

Apart from bridges, I also still need to draw stations (those will be in the style of the OpenGFX stations I drew not too long ago). Tunnels need to be redone, since these are just 'borrowed'. Depot needs to be redone too. I don't like the texture of the walls; and the roof is crappy too.

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to work on this set for the next few weeks (yes, I said weeks, not months :wink:), so you all have to be a little patient.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

FooBar wrote:As I can see, a complete new set of bridges needs to be drawn. These indeed break the illusion.
Maybe if you just fill in the abutments (A concrete stucture?) the bridges will then fit in. While you are at it, the track alignment of the approach to the girder bridge could be adjusted too. :D
so you all have to be a little patient.
A patient is a sick person ... are you suggesting we all be a little sick while you are away? :wink:
Gonozal_VIII
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gonozal_VIII »

wallyweb wrote:Maybe if you just fill in the abutments (A concrete stucture?) the bridges will then fit in.
I don't know what abutments are (well, i looked it up on wikipedia but what i found there wouldn't help much)
wallyweb wrote:While you are at it, the track alignment of the approach to the girder bridge could be adjusted too. :D
I noticed that shortly after I made the screenshot and did some more testing, i had two of the ramps a bit misaligned (one of them not in the screenshot), it's fixed :-).
All the bridges look too low with transrapid track below them, i guess i'll solve that by just not building any bridges over it, I don't know how it could be solved for others.
1.png
all the bridges (brick viaduct needs some fixing) and a glitch where the cursor points
(251.65 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Gonozal_VIII wrote:I don't know what abutments are (well, i looked it up on wikipedia but what i found there wouldn't help much)
... the ramps ...
:D
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

wallyweb wrote:
so you all have to be a little patient.
A patient is a sick person ... are you suggesting we all be a little sick while you are away? :wink:
Not "a little sick", but "a small sick person" :D

Anyways, I knew I should have added the proper definition. I opted for the following definition from thefreedictionary.com:
"Bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance with calmness."

But you may also choose this option:
"Capable of calmly awaiting an outcome or result; not hasty or impulsive."

This thefreedictionary.com can also help you with the definition of 'abutment':
"The act or process of abutting." (well, that helps when you don't know what 'abutment' is. If you knew what 'abutting' would be, you could also just guess what 'abutment' is about) :lol:

But in this context, it probably means: "A structure that supports the end of a bridge", as you just stated.

I love dictionaries :P
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

FooBar wrote:I love dictionaries :P
I do too. They are almost as fun as trying to cope with the English language ... and English is my mother tongue. :lol:
CARST
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CARST »

1. There are some good dictionaries out there, not many, but you could find some if you are lucky.
LEO-Dictionary is best IMO for English-German (and ger-spanish, ger-french)
I searched for abutment and it seems to be another word for bridge pier. I then searched for the german word for brige pier (Brückenpfeiler):
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=hPXz ... kenpfeiler => see yourself

2. back to topic: Because of the gfx glitches with briges (that they still go up) and streets (trucks still crossing over the tracks) would it be possible to make all transrapid-tracks to bridges? Just that all tracks are on bridges, junctions, straights, curves, slopes? The tracks could come down to normal level for stations and tunnels. I know that couldn't be made per grf, but would solve the problems...
Playing TT & TTD since 1995 - Will satisfy the Megalomaniac in everyone!

Click here to see all my maps!
Highlights:
CarstsEuropeScenario based on SRTM-Data (Redo planned)
CarstsWorldScenario based on satellite heightmap
CarstsGermanyScenario coming soon...
CarstsBerlinBburgScenario planned...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

2) Technically that's possible, but that requires a large amount of coding in both games, because it currently can't be done using NewGRF alone.

I'm not up for that job, but if someone's up for the job, be my guest, I'll just make the graphics :D

Most of this grf is just eye-candy, with a lot of glitches involved. I'm just going to try and make the best of it. I even don't really care if others would be using this grf; in the first place I'm making this for myself, but others are free to use it.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

FooBar wrote:... I'm making this for myself ...
But for that reason alone, wouldn't you want it to be the very best it could be? And if it was really nice and you featured it in the screenshot thread, I might even be tempted to nominate it for the contest. :mrgreen:

Return to “Graphics Development”