Encryption in OTTD

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: Encryption in OTTD

Post by Moriarty »

sc79 wrote:And the moral? Don't plan your crimes in OTTD chat
Why should only crimals use encryption? Anyone who wants privacy should use encyption for everything where it's not overly inconvenient.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Moriarty wrote:
sc79 wrote:And the moral? Don't plan your crimes in OTTD chat
Why should only crimals use encryption? Anyone who wants privacy should use encyption for everything where it's not overly inconvenient.
There are many reasons to encrypt sensitive data (emails, documents ....), however openttd games are considered as nothing sensitive by most people, so most of them won't bother trying to encrypt the communication there. And if you have situation when one wants encryption and 9 others don't care, you'll inevitably end up with the game being unencrypted.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Needless to say, I second Bilbo in here. I think he expressed the situation (as well as the opinion of many) quite well.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

belugas wrote:Needless to say, I second Bilbo in here. I think he expressed the situation (as well as the opinion of many) quite well.
Well I've told my point as well. I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before, and las time it was no encryption, now it's the same. I doubt we'll ever get encryption because it's mostly useless for OpenTTD.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”