Patch: another pbs for r11923

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pshemko
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: another pbs for r11923

Post by pshemko »

@wolfc

Ok, I think I can partially agree with that (train can crash if there is a signal between them) ;-) And because of that I'll rephrase what I said: I don't think train should be allowed to proceed/start if it's movements can cause a crash. It might not stop at the 'opposite' signal, but it should not be allowed to get into that position in the first place :-)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch: another pbs for r11923

Post by Bilbo »

wolfc wrote:
pshemko wrote:I don't think trains should be allowed to crash into each other if there is a signal between them, even if the layout is wrong. Trains simply should not be able to get into already occupied section of the track.
I partially agree. Trains should not exit the depot when it might cause a crash.
But if a train is heading towards a signal facing the opposite direction (because of a force proceed for example) it should not stop (or even slow down) at the signal. It should ignore the signal altogether (just as in real life).

For a later version I might implement something like 'proceed on sight'.
In real life crashes occur ... mostly as cause of human error or sometimes malfunction of the system.

With current system, the trains are crash free, except when you touch the network by rebuilding it without taking care of the traffic or if you force train to ignore signal.

"Proceed on sight" may be useful in areas with extremly limited space (inside cities?) where you don't have space for ordinary signalling,. but I guess people won't use that very often, at that would slow down the trains quite a lot.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”