32bpp mega pack v20081101

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

drschwalbenmann
Engineer
Engineer

32bpp mega pack v20081101

Post by drschwalbenmann »

Hi guys.

2 types of packages: used packages:
I tried to get the correct creator but I'm not really sure if this is allways right. Please correct me if it's not... extra zoom levels:
The maintained binaries only allow normal zoom levels. If you want to use the extra zoom and use linux you have to compile your own version with extra zoom patch. For windows there are precompiled binaries by GeekToo.

install:
Only copy the tar file to your data directory.

play with 32bpp:
Start openttd like this: openttd -b 32bpp-optimized

If I've forgotten something please contact me...
Much fun!
Andreas
Last edited by drschwalbenmann on 31 Oct 2008 23:59, edited 9 times in total.
useful links: 32bpp mega pack
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 32bpp mega pack v20080818

Post by CommanderZ »

Nice, thank you.

Btw, GeekToo provided a precompiled extra zoom levels Win32 binary here.

Also, maybe you should mention original authors of the graphics.
drschwalbenmann
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 32bpp mega pack v20080820

gt1750
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gt1750 »

Your megapack is missing the temperate foundations. They might get re-done at some point but they should work for now.

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=696338#p696338
"There's no Photoshop filter for talent!" - HotShoe, S&D

My automotive art & design gallery at deviantART
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

drschwalbenmann wrote: NOTICE:
I CHANGED THE BUILDING PROCESS FOR v20080820 BUT IT SEEMS THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG. PLEASE USE v20080818 TILL I SOLVED THE PROBLEMS...
I think the problem is that you have included the .zip versions of my buildings. Those files aren't coded. The finished buildings are in "Varivar_Temperate_houses_preview.tar" and "Varivar_Tropical_houses_preview.tar" (the latest is missing in your list.

Nevertheless, awesome work! You saved me a lot of time downloading tar files.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

You ahve some redudant sprites there, like the grass - the files with % are multiple variants of one srite set. I would also reccomend to include rather the version with lines. Most sprites I have seen seem to use the 100% grass WITH lines.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Nice initiative, drschwalbenmann :)

But Commanderz is right, the extra zoom patch does contain some redundancy: the files with % are present with and without lines, and depending on the order of loading it will load one or the other. But more important, they are rar files, which is not supported by the graphics loader at the moment, so they won't load at all, unless you unrar them.
They also are redundant with some of the grass tile sets that Soeb coded ( and Alltaken made graphics for them). Don't know the best way to solve that, maybe to create multiple packs, but that may get complex when more parallel sets appear. I'm thinking of landscape sets, town set, vehicle / train set etc, so people can combine their favourite composite set. That would reduce the number of neccesary downloads to 5-10 sets, which is a lot more easy than downloading all the sets in your lists, but still provides the flexibility to combine parallel sets. But that is just an idea.

Last remark, seems like you only mentioned the coders in some cases, I think the graphics artist need to be mentioned too. You can find most of them on: http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/32bpp ... oom_Levels
drschwalbenmann
Engineer
Engineer

I dont think so. I will explain you why...

This is my building process:
  1. unpack all packs
  2. go chronological through all packs and link the png files to a new created sprites directory
  3. if a png link already exist it will be overwritten with the newer one
  4. pack it to a new tar file
  5. at the end I look which files from which pack is linked and create a list (it could be only one file is used from some packs)
I automated the complete process (also the list of used packs) so I think it's right - but I will check that.
There are also other problems with some png - you see my script is atm not really perfect.
But I'll work on that! Perfection is only a question of time... :wink:

EDIT: I've also a script for crawling automatic through the relevant threads so the mentioned person is allways the author of the post. I will look how I can change that...
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Cool, that it is all automated!

I'll express myself better (I hope) about the redundancy: the resulting set is not redundant, but the sum of the sets out of which it is created is.
Ie, some sprites are present in these sets multiple times, like the grass tiles. You solved that redundancy by overwriting a sprite that already exists, by the sprite from the newer tar in the list
(step 3).
But that may not be what every user wants: eg if I want to play with the grass of Ben Robbins, some or more sprites in the 39xx.png range may get overwritten by Alltakens sprites.
And I cannot influence that. It is determined by your script.

That's why I said it would be better to compose a pack of all sprites that occur only once, and make a list of links to the conflicting tars so I can choose which one to download.

Since it is automated, it should not be to hard to show which tars conflict, and make a list of the conflicting ones.

Again, I think what you've done is very useful, it is just a remark to provide maximum flexibility with minimum downloads.
drschwalbenmann
Engineer
Engineer

GeekToo wrote:the resulting set is not redundant, but the sum of the sets out of which it is created is.
Yes, I already understood what you mean. But that was my aim. :wink:
GeekToo wrote:That's why I said it would be better to compose a pack of all sprites that occur only once, and make a list of links to the conflicting tars so I can choose which one to download.
Ok, good advice but this was not my intention in the first way. Thats why it's named "mega pack".

To me it seemed very frustrating to search all the existing packages. And I have the ability to do this with less of work but there are surely people they dont - and for those I want to give a single packages... :D

Ok, I will see how I can do your advice in a good way. But I think this'll be in the week after next - my degree is much more important. :wink:
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

# Train.tar by Ben_Robbins_
Those wagons (not the carrages) and the train was modeled by me.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

EXPN difference between "wagon" and "carriage"?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Passengers sit in a carriage, freight is carried in a wagon.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
drschwalbenmann
Engineer
Engineer

Hi.

I packed a new version of the mega pack but at the highest extra zoom level the straight rail sprites are shifted a bit (all street sprites too). But the new integrated rail street crossings are shown correct (and also many other sprites). I dont understand. Can anybody tell me why?

Thanks, Andreas
Teemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Teemes »

Yep, I noticed that, too, when I was downloading the "newer" rail elements (points, diagonals, etc.) that are included in the rail2.tar. Seems there are two versions of rail sprites floating around. The older version of many simpler rail elements is included in the train.tar, while the newer version is called rail.tar. I guess the order in which the tars are included in your pack is crucial here. Change it so that rail.tar gets included later than train.tar, not the other way round, so you only have the newer version.

I guess that's where the redundancy that GeekToo mentioned becomes a problem. Otherwise: Awesome effort, so much handier, please keep it up! :)

EDIT: Guess what, turns out I'm wrong. train.tar is actually the "good" .tar, while rail.tar is a "bad" .tar :twisted: . At least the version I have. However, I still assume that the cause of the problem is the order you include the sprites in your pack. Can anyone shed some light on that?
drschwalbenmann
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 32bpp mega pack v20080825

Ok. I found the mistake within my build script. In some cases it used an older version of a sprite. Now it should work as expected. Update to newer version...
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

Why am i still not being credited?
drschwalbenmann
Engineer
Engineer

Dont be so stressed. Its not good for your health. :lol:
Till today I had to hand in my diploma thesis. Thats why I concentrated me much more on that than on the mega pack. I think later this day I will update the pack and the author list. So be patient...
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Well, I hope. I don't like when there's my name next to something I only coded, not made.
drschwalbenmann
Engineer
Engineer

Ok, new update is online. I searched through all linked packages to find out who is the correct creator. In some cases I found nobody without reasonable expenditure. Please help me to complete the list...

Return to “Graphics Development”