Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Concerning the new trains GRF, I've taken a look at it. I can definitely see some previous bugs which are now fixed, great!

We still don't have a modern flatcar. I have looked in the tracking table and we do appear to have one drawn, so it needs to be included.

We could probably also stand to have the older, smaller freightcars get removed from the list in, say, 1965.

When do the Shiki car, the modern caboose, and the various car-carrier cars appear?

Sanchimaru, is it possible for you to draw the container car with the brake cabin on the tail end of it? I see we don't have one of those.

It's difficult to check, but I wanted to ask - did we solve the problem with some of the steam locos having an invisible cargo capacity in their tenders?

I'm picking up with my previous game in the 1980s, to try to test the modern stuff, e.g. Shinkansen variants.

Has anyone played a game in the Arctic yet? I haven't, but there were a couple of variants that appear only there (e.g. green Shinkansen.)

Sanchimaru, is it time for a more public test of the set?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Ah, the brake cabin on container carriers... Those are a rarity, actually. They came out when the brake devices were being improved and lasted no time. Nowadays you don't see them anywhere; all the KOKI trains end with a regular car as all the others.

I could be drawing one version of it, but in a very distant future, since it is such a rare item, and there things with more priority at the moment.

About the public test: let's gather all bug reports into one file, have it sent to the coders, and if most of them get fixed, we can pre-release it.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It may be a rarity IRL, but it's very common in models. :lol: Kind of like breakdown trains I suppose.

What else needs to be drawn for this set, that you noted as more important? Is there anything left? More houses maybe?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

First, we need new roads. Desperatly. Then, a few more varieties of trees.

After that, just some random buildins wherever possible. Some more office buildings, houses, just those little things. There is already a fairly good 'core' set of buildings to get from 1920 to 2020, just need to work on variety.

Also, some statues, small parks and the like would be very very good.

I'm getting very close to doing my own release of the Japanset scenery .grf, I've gone back to Szappys sources, and reworked a lot of it. Most of it all has Japanese names in Romaji for buildings, town names are in there (Not sure how well they work, I'll need bug reports to come in).

Its looking very good so far.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

As far as trees, part of the problem is that we can't change them with the seasons. That requires some Patching, which maybe will come someday after the first round is released.

For roads, it's been a while since I was in Japan; what's the differences?

For houses and parks and things, any volunteers?
onodera
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by onodera »

krtaylor wrote:For roads, it's been a while since I was in Japan; what's the differences?
Well, I've read they use both yellow and white road lines there.
It's a nodding donkey in my avatar, not me! I'm an oil rig.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Sanchimaru? Can you look out your window and tell us what the lines look like?
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

I'm preparing the file with the remaining building sprites for Aegir, it will soon be ready.

About the roads, they look mostly similar to the ones in Europe here (or at least, Kobe's roads are similar to the ones in Spain) so no major change is needed really. The yellow lines work the same as in Spain: they are used for provisional signalling in roads under construction.
However I can work on a set of more detailed roads... that will take more time, but can be done.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Here is the bug list with everything I could find:

Please, no more bug reporting until a new fixed version is released, we need to keep a control on things and not to overload the coders with work.
This is the bul list for the vehicles GRF, no mention to buildings yet, since Aegir is working on a new version for those
Attachments
japansetbugs.txt
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

You forgot to mention the missing modern flatcar and auto-racks, I think.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

The Chiki10 can be refitted to 50 wood / steel, that is a fair good amount, isn't it? The problem with it is that in arctic it only carries paper, not wood.

And both car carriers are there: the Koki71 Car Rack (80 goods) and the Ku5000 Car transporter (70 goods) There was a problem with the Car Rack being 1 pixel too high in horizontal views, but I sent to Szappy or to gl2 the fixed file for that.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

When do you get the Chiki10? I don't have it in 1983. In the 60s, I get wagons to carry everything at a decent clip, except wood and steel which stay stuck in the 45mph flatcar. There should be a faster flatcar in there.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Ok, noted that, thanks! Now this is the final version of the bug report for the current file. Let's wait until the next GRF is released for the next bug report.
With this list I think that we have covered the most important bugs. Other than that, the set is looking very nice :]
Attachments
japansetbugs2.txt
-*- FINAL BUG REPORT -*-
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Any news?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Well, I'm plugging allong with my work... You'll hear somthing when I have somthing to say about it, krtaylor.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I'm a workin' on some new railway tracks, modeling them after this photo:

However I am not going to model them in Narrow Guage.

I'll post screenies when I have somthing to show.

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Let me know if I can be of any help
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

/me dance dances

Well, I've actually been working from Szappy's original japanset houses sources for a while, I went through and overhauled it all though.

So, I did some fiddling with Japanset buildings allongside TTRS2, and I noticed those clipping errors.

I can now safely say that I have squished them *all*

Hoorah for me.

I just have a few more things to add in, some tweaking to do, and then I can release somthing for you all to bite into. Unfortunatly it looks like I'm about to get bogged down majorly in the next few weeks with work. So it could take a while before anything is released for testing.

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Take your time, friend! no master piece was done in matter of days. Well, the Japan set has been rolling for quite a while, but you have just taken the torch.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Some news: alpha 68 will have full support for Unicode, using UTF-8 to encode any character in the Basic Multilingual Plane. So it'll be possible to display Japanese characters (among many others). All I need is a grf file with the characters in the three font sizes and their Unicode code points.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.

Return to “Graphics Development”