Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

krtaylor wrote:Is there GRF support to add new faces? Or do you just overwrite the existing ones?
Just overwrite the existing faces. It will be interesting to see how this will actually work, I've never fiddled with the faces before, but I believe I know the process.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Righto, heres my offering, should correct the majority of those bugs, Sanchimaru. The industries are a lot harder to work with, since I don't really know what I'm doing there, as for the castle, can't really do much there. The large bank was disabled, and the small bank should behave the same as the normal TTD bank.
Attachments
jpset_bldw.GRF
Japanset buildings. Coded by Aegir, Szappy and gl2 aswell I think.
(979.99 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
bld-dsblw.GRF
Disable TTD buildings. Warning, will make TTD crash if you don't have another building set that will fill the gap. If it goes to build somwhere, and has no buildings, bam. This is safe to use with the Japanset buildings though.
(319 Bytes) Downloaded 159 times

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It seems like it would be a good idea to combine both of these into one GRF. Is that possible?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I'd prefer not to.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Why not? It doesn't seem like having a GRF floating around that explicity causes crashes if not used properly, is a very good idea.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

It's a utility .grf. I'm not going to make somthing explicitly Japanset only when it can be used for any building set. TTRS for instance.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Is it possible to make stock code that can be easily included in any building set, maybe under a parameter switch to turn it on and off?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

But why? it's an un-needed complication.

I'm quite sure that one extra .grf is much less complex than fiddling with grf parameters.

Not only that, with one extra ,grf, it's only a small ammount of space. By including the code in EVERY building set, mind you, I cannot even enforce that, it wastes even more time and effort.

Just leave it allone, krtaylor. It's fine how it is.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It's not required for every building set, is it?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Krtaylor. I'm not changing it.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I wouldn't think that Patchman is going to be pleased when he finds a GRF file floating around that explicitly will cause the game to crash, if not used properly. Is there some way to do an internal check, and error out on the startup screen if there's no other building set available?
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

gl2 has began working on the faces, we'll show any progress when it's ready.

Aegir, I tested the last GRF. Works well but still new Temples and Budhas are built by towns.
Also, I have been thinking about the Castles... I don't like how they work. In real life, castles are not just in the middle of nowhere; rather they are one of the main city's attractives and they are in the city itself. Off course, an area is reserved so that their beauty can be appreciated and they are not engulfed by the skyscrappers. But still, I think that they would work better like Zimmlock's TTRS cathedrals.
The same for the Temples and Budhas, my idea from the beginning was to have them as unique buildings, found in reduced numbers only at the very beginning of a game.
Other than that, the GRF worked quite fine ;)

About the GRF for removing the original buildings, it doesn't really bug me quite that much. However, if we get to replace every building in the towns (as TTRS) there should be no need for that. Just make the default option to replace the TTD buildings, and if someone for some reson wants them, there they are.

Another thing: yesterday I ordered to build a "company owner statue" in the game while testing the new buildings and stuff...
And I thought that it looked really stupid. You have to imagine a statue in honor of the president of a company (no matter how important that company was for the growth of that city) that dwarfs all the peoples's houses and that features a guy in a tuxedo with a big top hat. By the way, why is it a gentleman, if we were supposed to have president ladies too... if you can call "lady" those tomboys.
Well, what I meant is that I'd like to replace the statue with something else that would look better, and make more sense. My first thought was to create a shrine. There are in Japan shrines dedicated to road safety, and my idea was that the company funded the construction of one of them.
It can be a simple structure with a torii gate and an altar. Or maybe we would need a complete shrine?
Another idea was to make a commercial building (many companies here, like Hankyu and Hanshin have their own shopping malls, and even hotels)
What do you think?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Sanchimaru, this is essentially your set, your vision at the moment, so I'll go with whatever you say.

And about the castles? Yeap, I'll get them into the city and behaving more like a town building, I can control them easilly then. And I'll go back and have another look at the temples.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think the shrine idea fo a statue is an excellent one.

On the subject of a commercial building, though, we could have the set include Japanese versions of the corporate HQ.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Yeap, that easilly possible aswell, Krtaylor. And infact, it will have to be done at some point or another if this is to be an entire climate as such.

Prebral
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Prebral »

I have tested the vehicle grf and noticed, that Shinkansen passenger cars have limited max. speed to something like 99kmh. It is either taken as default by TTDPatch with wagon speed limits on or from some previous set (I have jpset on top, but...).
Mail wagons are OK, I suppose writing shinkansen-accurate new max speed byte for these passenger wagons would do the job...?
I can of course turn off wagon speed limits, but I like playing with it as it forces me to use more various locos.
Miketrak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Miketrak »

I have just downloaded the Japan Set, and found it excellent. I am very interested in Japan Railways anyway, so an excellent set. There are a few issues I would like to raise, mainly concerning the shinkansen lines, so hopefully they can be resolved for the proper full release.

1. Level crossings only have barriers on one side of the road, and a graphic glitch is sometimes caused when removing a crossing.
2. Shinkansen lines should have overhead catenary supports as they are obviously electrified.
3. Shinkansen trains make the maglev sound when starting.
4. Shinkansen level crossings should be impossible, or if they are to be kept, I noticed that there is maglev track graphics over the crossing.

I understand that this version is beta, and not the complete version, just thought I'd bring these to your attention. Sorry if these are old news to you, and the issues are resolved.
I look forward to the full complete version, Superb work! The new buildings are great too!

Mike.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

2 and 4 are definitely limitations in the patch, and 1 may be.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Why are they limitations? Alll that needs to be done IIUC is to replace the graphics, ie add a catenary to them manually and to change the maglev graphics to Shinkansen.

James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

That won't work. If you do that, the trains will drive on top of the catenary.

It is indeed a patch limitation that only the second track type may have a catenary, but changing that (while in the to-do) is surprisingly difficult.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.

Return to “Graphics Development”