Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Miketrak wrote:1. Level crossings only have barriers on one side of the road,
Are you sure? They look OK to me. It's hard to see the one in the rear, maybe. I'll look more closely next time I test.

It's also true that crossings are VERY finicky, because of limitations in the sprite-sorter. My understanding is that there may be some improvements under development, but they have not come to fruition yet. In any case, this is a Patchteam issue.
Miketrak wrote: and a graphic glitch is sometimes caused when removing a crossing.
Can you provide a screenshot of this?
Miketrak wrote:2. Shinkansen lines should have overhead catenary supports as they are obviously electrified.
True. It requires a special Patch feature, which was requested some while back. As Patchman pointed out, it's not as easy as it sounds. Until then, we make do.
Miketrak wrote:3. Shinkansen trains make the maglev sound when starting.
Custom sounds are a relatively new feature of the Patch. Not many people know how to code them.

But more, in order to code custom sounds, we have to have custom sounds to code. If you happen to know of a repository of suitable sounds, or can provide them, that would be excellent. Please note that plain old recordings of a Shinkansen are probably not good enough, because they'd be too long - they have to be edited to be very brief, but also "sound right." Quite a trick, actually.
Miketrak wrote:4. Shinkansen level crossings should be impossible,
Sorry, no can do, and this would make Shinkansen use rather hard in TTD cities. They're unrealistically cramped.
Miketrak wrote: or if they are to be kept, I noticed that there is maglev track graphics over the crossing.
I've noticed this too, but it isn't really maglev. It's a custom Japanese rail crossing. The ordinary Japanese crossings, at least those we have photos of, seem to have big metal plates instead of asphalt. So they look like that. If you would like to draw a more appropriate one, or provide a better photo, that would be great!

Thanks for your interest!
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Hello, Miketrak! thanks for the interest :D

Indeed you made good points about the set, but some of them don't depend on us, but on the patch:
The catenary over 3rd rail type is currently on Patchman's todo list. We will eventually have it...

The sounds are indeed awful... we need to get them, but as it was noted, this is a rather new feature. Also, we wanted to have the set running before have the details on it. The plan is to release a full playable version (which is very very near, by the way!) and then add details and improve minor things.
By the way, if you have any source for the sounds we will gladly take them! not only shinkansen, but all the trains.

About the crossings, I think I undertand what you mean, take a look at the screeshot bellow:
from left to right 1: the trains GRF provides this crossing. This one was erroneous. About one year ago, I was away on a trip, and in that one moment the set began to be coded. They needed to have matching grass color for all the tiles I drew in temperate grass color, and someone edited them in a way I can't understand, removing some of the barriers in the open stage, but leaving them when they closed... I don't know who was, but I have to say that it was a total mess.
The crossings in the trains GRF is this one. It should not appear, since there is a newer, improved version.

2: in a discussion in this thread it was decided that shinkansen tracks should absolutely have no crossings. There is no specific patch for this, but we have "townbuildnoroads" option. That leaves only the AI to build them. For this reason, Korenn, the person who drew the shinkansen tracks didn't add them a crossing sprite, so they just look like regular maglev.

3: recently Aegir took care of coding the scenery GRF (as opposed to the trainsGRF) And he asked me to include a new road set. I drew most of the sprites for it and the road set is included in the last sceneryGRF, a few pages back, posted by Aegir. That one should look correctly.

We are glad to have a tester for the GRFs, please keep contributing to the set!
Attachments
xings.png
xings.png (26.17 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I certainly wouldn't recommend that someone would make a rail crossing with Shinkansen, but there is absolutely no way to prevent it. And I'd rather have the caternary patch first. So, I think we should offer a suitable railroad crossing for Shinkansen that at least doesn't look awful. The truck drivers in TTD are pretty brave anyway, crossing in front of a train going 200mph should not faze them at all. :lol:
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

actually, I did draw the shinkansen crossing, since it could not be prevented that the AI built them. Only I forgot to draw the sprite with the lights on, which means there's a nasty glitch whenever a shinkansen train passes a crossing, and it turns back to the maglev crossing.

Or at least, I know this bug existed at some time, but I forgot whether or not I fixed it. I lost my working files a while back in an upgrade, so I can't check if I did.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Ok, let's then fix this matter of the crossings:

The normal crossings shall appear in the scenery GRf only (being coded by Aegir) and the shinkansen crossings, only in the trains GRF (by gl2)

Korenn, can you please post the sprites for the crossings, or send them directly to gl2?
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Sanchimaru wrote:Ok, let's then fix this matter of the crossings:

The normal crossings shall appear in the scenery GRf only (being coded by Aegir) and the shinkansen crossings, only in the trains GRF (by gl2)

Korenn, can you please post the sprites for the crossings, or send them directly to gl2?
Yeah I have a grf containing the crossing sprites, I just checked, it also contains the crossing with lights flashing, only the positioning is off. I'll send it to gl2.

EDIT: uhm am I missing something? gl2 hasn't ever posted in this thread? are you sure it should go to the user 'gl2' ?
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Yes, gl2 is taking care of the coding. He works along with Szappy, but he is not too fluent in english, that's why he doesn't post in the forums a lot.
Ingram_wiwi
Engineer
Engineer

Ohhh

Post by Ingram_wiwi »

kitakore!!!!!

Very Nice JPN Set :D
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Thank you, Ingram! The set is still developing, keep an eye for the updates :))
By the way we are on the same prefecture!
AdRy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AdRy »

i have a problem: when i play the japan set i cant construct shinkansens and shinkansen railway. but the other companies yes. what happens?
thanks
AdRy!!
"I'm not the first and i won't be the worst" Robbie Williams.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Shinkansens should be the 3rd track type. They don't run on normal or electric tracks. The first Shinkansen is available from around 1960.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Sounds like we're almost ready to release?
AdRy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AdRy »

yes i know but in the game when i select the railway the 3r type is not in, i mean there are only 2 types, but the AI can constrcut this 3rd rail. and i dont know what to do to be able to construct the 3rd rail type
AdRy!!
"I'm not the first and i won't be the worst" Robbie Williams.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Hmm, that's pretty strange to me then. I'm sorry, I have no idea about coding, or configuration, so I don't know what could be wrong. But this might be an issue for future users too, so let's see how to solve it:

> be sure that you have the latest alpha version of the patch
> check out the newpatch.cfg file with any text editor (notepad, wordpad...) you should have the line:
unifiedmaglev 2
on it.

If any of those fixes the problem, then I don't know what could be wrong. Try looking in the manual of the patch first, and if you can't get a solution there, post a thread in the "patch problems" section.

Whenever you find what caused the problem, and the solution to it (even if it was very simple) post here about it, please, so that we can help future users.
Thanks! :))
denny577
Engineer
Engineer

site

Post by denny577 »

Do you update that site very often?
It says there might be some alpha release mid-summer 2005, which is quite a while ago now :)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, I probably ought to change the year at least... it's been a somewhat frustrating year. But we are almost done, and closer than we were last year. What's left, Sanchimaru?
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

For the trains GRF just some slight details, I'll ask gl2 how is he doing. But the trains GRF are mostly done. Aegir was with the scenery GRF, that one still needed a little bit more of work, but had advanced a lot too. Actually it should not take too long. But we have just been through the exams period and people gets a lot busy.
I hope to hear soon from them :D
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Yes, I don't work to any schedule. When I have a hankering to code, I code. I'll try and get somthing new for you peeps to play with soon though, I'm currently in the process of keeping everything on my end stapled down.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
RSpeed tycoonfreak
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RSpeed tycoonfreak »

Is there a way to get the japanese buildings work in open ttd?
I only get the trains and the landscape working, and i like the buildings the most. :cry:
Visit The Fake Airport Website
Hobbys: being 18 years old, soccer, go karting, and transport tycoon.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

First we have to get it all coded so it works at all. Then we can see about tweaking the code so it works for OTTD. The coding has always been much the most delaying factor; I believe the graphics have been done for most of a year. Coding is tough and there aren't many people who can do it.

Return to “Graphics Development”