Another one?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Another one?

Post by Arathorn »

Another TTD clone? :shock:
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Give Owen a chance - he's only just got his grubby little hands on the source...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Ah, but this one isn't so much a clone - it's more like TTD itself, rewritten in C!
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Like TTU. :P
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

orudge wrote:Ah, but this one isn't so much a clone - it's more like TTD itself, rewritten in C!
Wouldn't that make it more of a clone, if it's identical :?:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

This one is 95% finished though. It basically IS TTD.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

not its not, because it doesn't work after putting sample.cat and graphics files in there.
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

:shock: is all I can say.

This is what the original plan for TTU was meant to be, IIRC.
It's amazingly similar to TTD: everything about it is just the same (including the awful font). (But it doesn't seem to work with modified trg1r.grf's, so I can't use FontRenew :(.)

There are definitely a few bugs and/or development features (like pressing Shift moves time on noticeably) but it is only 95% complete, after all.

This + completion + all patch features will = legal, good game
(but getting all patch features integrated will be a large amount of work).

(try using an original trg1r.grf file, Born Acorn)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

ahh now it works.

It is nice, I noticed traffic jams at the loading bays don't happen any more. :)

but let me get this straight, this open ttd, can be edited so it can have higher bridges and all the stuff impossible in normal ttd?
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Who knows, maybe we can arrange competitions forthe best bridge-related screenshots :)

Something to look into will be sheer slopes (i.e. two adjoining tiles being at completely different altitudes)
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I'll be building the bridges over the menai straits. :)
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

It doesn't work for me. "Cannot open sample.cat" :cry:
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Have you copied the TTD Windows sample.cat into its folder, Arathorn?
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

What files do I need to get there?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

ttd windows graphics files (not modified) and the sample.cat file from ttd windows
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

No, no, this is something new.

1. It actually works and is more or less finished, thus it is not "vaporware."

2. It is open-source, so it can be inifinitely extended to absorb all the Patch functions, and the other impossible things.

I have heard rumors about this for some time now, and if it what it appears to be, I would expect that eventually all other versions of everything related to TTD would become obsolete. The reason for the Patch is because we don't have the source code to TTD; with this we do, so whatever we want can be written right in. Of course, the Patch does so many things that it will be quite a long time before this catches up, but being written in C it's so much easier to modify than TTD is via the Patch.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

I was saying the same thing in Owen's introduction topic... doesn't this mean TTDPatch and the other clones become obsolete?? Having the source mean you can virtually add or change everything, write your own graphics engine, all sorts of plugins, new GUI...

I'm already starting Photoshop to work out some new ideas...

And uh... HIGHER RESOLUTIONS :P
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

the thing is, I am having one of those 'matrix' moments when you can't remember if it was a dream or reality, but I swear Ive heard of Ludde and his open ttd before, but cannot remember where.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Like I said, this rumor has been floating around for a while, I know for a fact there has been substance to it for at least a year and. Obviously it has been under development for a long time, he didn't write this whole thing overnight.

Arguably the biggest thing about this, is the fact that the only thing of Chris Sawyer's that it uses is the graphics and the name, both of which are easily replaceable. So the paranoid among us need have no fear anymore.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Well, you'd still have to implement all the patch features, which is far from trivial. In fact, you'd be spending about 80% of the time I've so far spent on the patch, I think. Especially things like the new graphics support are going to be a lot of work.

It'd be best if there were a way of applying TTDPatch to OpenTTD directly, but I see no chance of that happening. The only reason TTDPatch supports the Windows version, in fact, is that it didn't have to be rewritten because the Windows version has 95% identical binary code to the DOS version. OpenTTD, while having the same algorithms and some of the same data structures, does not in any way have similar binary code and the patch therefore will not work.

Basically, you have to rewrite the entire patch in C as well. Well, you can guess who's not going to do that ;)

Return to “General OpenTTD”