JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by OzTrans »

I have a bit of a conundrum ...

I am emulating the rail corridor between London (Kings Cross) and Leeds / Edinburgh from Hitchin to Grantham with the rail hub of Peterborough in the middle so I can do some testing of high speed rail operations and signalling.

Now, some trains do some peculiar shunting at Peterborough. They need to shunt from the Nene Carriage Sidings (PB NCS) via PB N P4 to PB Down Fast, then reversing via PB NP3 in order to get to platform 3 to be ready for departure to Kings Cross. Trains are speed limited (signal restricted setting) at 60 km/h during shunting and revert to normal speed once leaving Peterborough.

This works for Push-Pull trains and Ordinary trains (with just one engine), but not for trains that have an engine up front and one at the back (reversed). That train, after passing 'PB Down Fast', slows to 21 km/h and keeps on going at 21 km/h until it runs out of track. Only if I stop the train manually and restart it, will it reverse and complete the shunting operation. Sometimes, it shows 'Cannot reach PB N P3'.

I have also tried signal restriction 'reverse behind signal' at a PBS two-way signal, once passed PB Down Fast normally, but that does not work.

Any clues ?

PB - Shunting B.png
PB - Shunting B.png (152.91 KiB) Viewed 61681 times
Attachments
PB - Shunting A.png
(468.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Wreckit wrote: 13 Dec 2023 20:30 Hi JGR
New update looks great tho by time i get round to playing again properly you maybe on another two versions :p
But overall keep up the good work. The programing signals have been great fun to use.

However the main reason to post is quirry if you've ever thought of implementing/ finnishing off Karn's "realistic shunting" to you're patch pack?

viewtopic.php?t=83374

I realise in its current state its kinda useless for cargodist but the potential it has could make for some great game play.

Regards
I'm aware of this patch, but a very large amount of extra work would be required to complete/integrate it.
This is not something that I have spare capacity for at present.
OzTrans wrote: 13 Dec 2023 22:58 I have a bit of a conundrum ...

I am emulating the rail corridor between London (Kings Cross) and Leeds / Edinburgh from Hitchin to Grantham with the rail hub of Peterborough in the middle so I can do some testing of high speed rail operations and signalling.

Now, some trains do some peculiar shunting at Peterborough. They need to shunt from the Nene Carriage Sidings (PB NCS) via PB N P4 to PB Down Fast, then reversing via PB NP3 in order to get to platform 3 to be ready for departure to Kings Cross. Trains are speed limited (signal restricted setting) at 60 km/h during shunting and revert to normal speed once leaving Peterborough.

This works for Push-Pull trains and Ordinary trains (with just one engine), but not for trains that have an engine up front and one at the back (reversed). That train, after passing 'PB Down Fast', slows to 21 km/h and keeps on going at 21 km/h until it runs out of track. Only if I stop the train manually and restart it, will it reverse and complete the shunting operation. Sometimes, it shows 'Cannot reach PB N P3'.

I have also tried signal restriction 'reverse behind signal' at a PBS two-way signal, once passed PB Down Fast normally, but that does not work.

Any clues ?

PB - Shunting B.png
I have a reasonably good guess for what the problem is.
I'll add some mitigations for this failure mode in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

JGR wrote: 14 Dec 2023 01:53
OzTrans wrote: 13 Dec 2023 22:58... Shunting ...
I have a reasonably good guess for what the problem is.
I'll add some mitigations for this failure mode in the next release.
Thank you, I look forward to it.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

For some liquids - such as acids - the context help shows tonnes instead of litres. There are liters correctly in the window of the station or vehicle cargo.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Argus wrote: 15 Dec 2023 13:51 For some liquids - such as acids - the context help shows tonnes instead of litres. There are liters correctly in the window of the station or vehicle cargo.
This is mostly likely a problem with whichever GRF you are using.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I never noticed this before, and I've been using XIS for a long time. Never mind. I have already written in the XIS topic about several errors, especially in the translation, and no correction, so I probably won't even report this bug. Thanks :)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Idea i had whilst laying down a huge line with nothing but stations on it (dang maps with lots of nothing in the middle!). When you drag signals, it will by default stop at the first obstacle it comes across, station or junction. Would it be possible to make a setting so signals will not be stopped by a station, and it continues laying signals beyond it until the end of a line, or rail junction? Unfortunately it will be impossible to predict any correct path of signals after junctions, but for stations is it possible to continue after them? May be a nice setting to add under the signals (advanced) category?

It would also be nice if you can do the same when converting, as you can do with signals. Drag in a direction whilst holding [a button], and it converts track type up to the first obstacle that it cannot convert (a depot with a train in it, for example), or junction.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 15 Dec 2023 18:17 Idea i had whilst laying down a huge line with nothing but stations on it (dang maps with lots of nothing in the middle!). When you drag signals, it will by default stop at the first obstacle it comes across, station or junction. Would it be possible to make a setting so signals will not be stopped by a station, and it continues laying signals beyond it until the end of a line, or rail junction? Unfortunately it will be impossible to predict any correct path of signals after junctions, but for stations is it possible to continue after them? May be a nice setting to add under the signals (advanced) category?

It would also be nice if you can do the same when converting, as you can do with signals. Drag in a direction whilst holding [a button], and it converts track type up to the first obstacle that it cannot convert (a depot with a train in it, for example), or junction.
I can take a look into the feasibility of this.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Partial autorefit when?

That means, when using the autorefit option, players can only refit the whole train for one cargo option. To make half of the train refittable to one type of cargo, another half to another type, is impossible so far, given the whole train has the same type of wagons.

I think this should be constructive :D but no one seems to have raised it. I didn't find it until hours ago. I think this might be a "blind area".
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

You can always just "refit to available cargo"

I'm not sure if what you suggest is possible, because refitting specific parts of the train requires knowledge of the train's length and configuration as well as what type of wagons it has. The order list can be copied to any train so there's no way of knowing if the orders are compatible with the train, which would cause all kinds of problems.

There is already the edge case of copying autorefit orders to a train that doesn't support it or the cargos it's supposed to refit to, in which case autorefit simply fails and the train moves on.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 15 Dec 2023 18:17 Idea i had whilst laying down a huge line with nothing but stations on it (dang maps with lots of nothing in the middle!). When you drag signals, it will by default stop at the first obstacle it comes across, station or junction. Would it be possible to make a setting so signals will not be stopped by a station, and it continues laying signals beyond it until the end of a line, or rail junction? Unfortunately it will be impossible to predict any correct path of signals after junctions, but for stations is it possible to continue after them? May be a nice setting to add under the signals (advanced) category?

This is implemented now.
JohnFranklin523 wrote: 18 Dec 2023 07:03 Partial autorefit when?

That means, when using the autorefit option, players can only refit the whole train for one cargo option. To make half of the train refittable to one type of cargo, another half to another type, is impossible so far, given the whole train has the same type of wagons.

I think this should be constructive :D but no one seems to have raised it. I didn't find it until hours ago. I think this might be a "blind area".
Presumably you could use the refit to available cargo mechanism, if you need to refit a train to carry more than one cargo from a station.
This isn't any way to specify non-trivial custom refits in orders. Order lists can be shared by non-matching trains.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

JGR wrote: 19 Dec 2023 22:32

This is implemented now.
Oh sweet! Wasn't expecting it so fast, I'll review the code to figure out how to activate it in-game when the next version is released Thanks so much! :mrgreen:
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
LiiNaRuu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LiiNaRuu »

Would it be possilbe to add a filter "cargo acceptance" in stations drop down list?

I'm playing ECS with stockpile limit on. E.g. I'd like to look for every town station accepting gold.
At the moment it's only possible to see which station provide a specific cargo.
[+] Spoiler
Stations_List_Gold.PNG
Stations_List_Gold.PNG (23.95 KiB) Viewed 57012 times
Last edited by LiiNaRuu on 21 Dec 2023 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
BubuSK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BubuSK »

JGR wrote: 08 Dec 2023 19:34 Changing the language to English in the Game Options window should avoid this issue.
Hello JGR,
thanks for working on this pack! I would just like to say this bug also happens on English language selected in the Game Options. The error message is the same as Doomlord mentioned in his message from 08th Dec 2023 20:26.

Edit: Just for information, I am running v. 0.56.1 and it occurs when trying to build a train station.

Best regards,
Bubu
Last edited by BubuSK on 20 Dec 2023 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

JGR wrote: 19 Dec 2023 22:32 Presumably you could use the refit to available cargo mechanism, if you need to refit a train to carry more than one cargo from a station.
This isn't any way to specify non-trivial custom refits in orders. Order lists can be shared by non-matching trains.
What if there were a cargo terminal with all types of cargo, and the train wagons could also be refitted to all types of cargo, but you just want them to autorefit to certain types of cargo? And this was the case in that scenario, a container train autorefitting at a cargo terminal.

Well, it might be too niche... :D
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

fridaemon wrote: 08 Dec 2023 19:41 Hi JGR ;)
I will try to open the topic of endless water again...
img-2023-12-08-20-38-30.png
Would it be possible to create an option (ON/OFF) to replace the black background with water? Like the Earth is not flat? In the case of islands that are sometimes located on the edge of the map, it would make a nicer impression. I really believe it'd appreciate more players. 8)
If the map really does have water at every edge tile, it can look OK.
However in other cases it can look quite bad and/or not make sense.

Rendering the void as water also makes it a bit difficult to work out where the edge of the actual play areas is.

[+] Spoiler
Unnamed, 1990-01-12#1.png
(141.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Unnamed, 1990-02-19.png
(289.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

JGR wrote: 21 Dec 2023 18:33 If the map really does have water at every edge tile, it can look OK.
Version With islands looks really perfect! In other cases not.
Soo ... Is there a possibility to have something like: Area around the map: DEFAULT (BLACK) / WATER ?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

IIRC there was a great which provided water at the edge. It was called wateredges or something like that.

Haven't a clue where I found it, and it is very old (as in around 10 or so years).
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

dol422 wrote: 22 Dec 2023 14:22 IIRC there was a great which provided water at the edge. It was called wateredges or something like that.

Haven't a clue where I found it, and it is very old (as in around 10 or so years).
Yes, He did. But with OpenTTD 0.10.0+ it's not workin'.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

fridaemon wrote: 22 Dec 2023 12:58
JGR wrote: 21 Dec 2023 18:33 If the map really does have water at every edge tile, it can look OK.
Version With islands looks really perfect! In other cases not.
Soo ... Is there a possibility to have something like: Area around the map: DEFAULT (BLACK) / WATER ?
I've added a setting along these lines.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github

Return to “OpenTTD Development”