Coding station graphics

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The smallpstatsw.grf file (in stationsbysaskia.zip) contains an error: Invalid sprite #3 :cry:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Colonel Sheperd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Colonel Sheperd »

Weird :?
Works fine by me.
I have Alpha 28.5
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

purno, that happens when you don't have the latest alpha version.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Korenn wrote:purno, that happens when you don't have the latest alpha version.
Thx, it works.

The stations look great but there are still some errors:

2x1 station does only have 1 platform
2x5 station does have short platforms
Catenary is unsupported.

But they look really great :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The fact that they work at all, is very impressive. For a first shot, with little documentation, it's amazing. I guess the thing to to is to continue with this one station, ironing it out until it works perfectly, and then expand into more, such as the ones in EXE files that are on Dinges' server.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Arte Pro 34
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arte Pro 34 »

A small patch.

It was simple.
Just use action 0 prop 0E
// 04 - platform with roof, left side
// 06 - platform with roof, right side

Code: Select all

Action 0 ....
 0E 01 01 04
    01 02 04 06 // 1x1 
    02 01 04 04 // 2x1
    03 01 04 04 04 // 3x1
    04 01 04 04 04 04 // 4x1
    05 01 04 04 04 04 04 // 5x1
    05 02 04 04 04 04 04 06 06 06 06 06 // 5x2
    00 00 // end of custom layout. Rest of sizes by TTD default.
[/code]
Attachments
smallpsg.zip
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

simmer wrote:[Off-Topic]
astath wrote:hit me!
Trows 2 rotten banana's at astath head :lol:
[/Off-Topic]
*dodges, laughs and points finger*

:wink:

ontopic: the file didn't work for me either, but as soon as i'm at home again, i'll try out the newest thing. i'm rather curious.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The file works for me, sort of, but not very usefully. The station appears in the signaltower list, which means it can't be used as a real station, since it doesn't collect cargo and trains won't stop at it. It's a ghost station. Progress, nevertheless.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

any progress IS progress. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

astath wrote:any progress IS progress. :)
Unquestionably.

Actually, I played with it a little more, and it's not quite as simple as I thought. THe new station doesn't appear as a signaltower. It doesn't appear with the "normal" stations either. It shows up as its own category, so there are three main options reachable by the arrows above the images instead of two: normal stations, signaltowers, and this new station.
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Definitely a good start. I look forward to seeing (and coding myself :wink:) more of these in the future...
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

I´ve been working on getting my own station in game, I can´t pass up a challenge like that :D Although My first attempt is so complicated I´ve run into a wall already (awaiting comment from patchman)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Did you PM him? I didn't see a thread on the subject.
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Arte Pro 34 wrote:A small patch.
Thanks, the next version (coming out the next days) will work definately better (Sorry for the problems purno, I forgot to deactivate some more layouts *g*) and have a building and probably catenary masts, too :)

@krtaylor: yes, it's part of the new CITY station type, intented for passenger use only. The default stations are type DFLT, and MB's signal boxes are type WAYP.

@Bernhard: Tut mir leid, du kriegst die Anleitung, versprochen! :wink:
Arte Pro 34
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arte Pro 34 »

And here is simple station .grf file with source code.
Graphic and code are public domain. Feel free for use it.
Attachments
stacja.zip
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
stacja_sshoot.png
stacja_sshoot.png (27.39 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

lets see, graphic awesome but:

Code: Select all

[19:50:17] <SHADOW-XIII> patchman why I see diffirences in his screenshot and mine in game ??
[19:50:37] <SHADOW-XIII> there is "Side Platform" text ... but in here there is "Orientation"
[19:52:51] <patchman> he probably didn't code the .grf quite right, and only set the name for the american version
[19:54:14] <SHADOW-XIII> oh
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Actually I just had a look at the .nfo file, sprite #19 just has C4 instead of 00 C4 so it doesn't set the class name at all. It must be set by some other .grf file in the screenshot.
Colonel Sheperd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Colonel Sheperd »

Fantastic, could the next thing be like "island" platforms?
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

You know, about a half-hour before you said that ...
#tycoon wrote:[20:24:56] <chirho> Before I resort to examining things, can you combine different types of new platform?
[20:25:11] <patchman> yes
[20:25:14] <chirho> good
[20:26:11] <chirho> I might try exapnding those station graphics to the point of being able to manually create platforms facing the opposite direction (if they're not already there)
[20:26:42] <chirho> (i.e. platform appears on south side of track instead of north by default
[20:26:50] <chirho> perhaps there's scope for island platforms
[20:27:15] <Steve^> telescope?
[20:27:30] <chirho> don't be so soft, what use is a telescope on an island platform?
[20:28:04] <Steve^> dunno, you brought it up!
I've just downloaded the file, and I'll see what I can do. If nobody has any objections, I might consider "adopting" this.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

So far, I've put a station sign on the lamp-posts, as it typical of small stations of this type in this country. I've got a back-up of the original so it might be possible to define only every other lamp-post holding a station sign. I'm also making duplicates without the brick wall so that back-to-back platforms on an island don't have a crappy brick wall in the middle.

Right then, I guess I'll be adopting this one (well, it was in the public domain ...). No idea what to call it, other than the working title "New Stations Project". Which conflicts slightly with the name of MB's existing file, as if I give a damn ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”