[WIP] INFRA by SAC

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [WIP] INFRA by SAC

Post by Purno »

Brown.

Btw, any chance for an animated theme park? :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Brown is better but like mentioned: why not have both?

Did I tell you it looks absolutely fantastic, as always :D?!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Well, I'd say if built before a certain date, brown. After, white.

...but you seem set on not including both. :|
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Hmm, this didn't solve it really... :rolleyes: Equal opinions for brown and white... Planetmaker has a point though, although it's a NewObject thing with no random construction involved... And I don't want to waste valuable tiles on several Them Park layouts...

What to do... what to do... ?(
Purno wrote:Btw, any chance for an animated theme park? :P
:mrgreen: That would have been something... Still, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of animated stuff in TTDLX... Sure, an animated ferris wheel would look awesome, I'm sure, but I have to admit that the animations in, for instance, the ECS collection in parts actually annoys me... :tongue:
Last edited by SAC on 07 Aug 2011 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

SAC wrote:Hmm, this didn't solve it really... :rolleyes: Equal opinions for brown and white... Planetmaker has a point though, although it's a NewObject thing with no random construction involved... And I don't want to waste valuable tiles on several Them Park layouts...

What to do... what to do... ?(
A NewObject can also offer all of it (you can choose which): different views: one view with white, the other with brown. Or one view with random colour. And... there's IMHO nothing bad about using random bits in object construction (yes, they do have them).
Given the sprites, I can offer you to make a quick taster to show what I mean.

You as player after all just gave out the license for the fair - and then the actual owner decided to paint it white. Damn him, one should double the license fees for ignoring the colour requirements in the construction permit ;-)
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

planetmaker wrote:A NewObject can also offer all of it (you can choose which): different views: one view with white, the other with brown. Or one view with random colour. And... there's IMHO nothing bad about using random bits in object construction (yes, they do have them)
Yes, I'm aware of the new possibilities with NewObjects. Problem is, I have waaay to many ideas I want to realize as a result of the four view rotation feature... It sort of quadrupels (?) my list of new stuff... :mrgreen: And I agree with the "random colour" thing. Didn't think of it though... Hmmm, this needs some thoughts...
You as player after all just gave out the license for the fair - and then the actual owner decided to paint it white. Damn him, I should double the license fees ;-)

:mrgreen:

ForLostContent
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ForLostContent »

Yep!! Thank you for trees!
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Just wanted to pop in and show another one of Ravens buildings sent to me for adaption to TTDLX. This one is a stadium, (not sure if it exist in real life), and below is the final result after my work with it. I still have some minor things I need to improve though, but overall it's done... Any thoughts?
Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Really good, SAC. I know you said you haven't finished yet, but I would pay special attention to the floodlights. I don't know if you can graphically make them glow (as in the larger model), but I think that would make it look even better.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Waow ! This is amazing graphics, as always from you SAC !
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Thanks! :))
SwissFan91 wrote:I don't know if you can graphically make them glow (as in the larger model), but I think that would make it look even better.
Since it's pasted on a black background it's easy to get "fooled" about what the glowing lights can produce in terms of visual effects. Unfortunately it's daylight only in TTDLX - at least in my game :tongue: - and so making them glow I think will look a bit out of place when used in game... That said it doesn't mean it's not possible to at least test out...

On another note, forgot earlier to post a screenie of the extended hotel from the ECS-set, which I made for the sake of the Saltsjöbaden Spa & Resort, showcased in the INFRA Diary. And here it is;
Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

SAC wrote: so making them glow I think will look a bit out of place when used in game...
Maybe you should make them a bit more like a stack of unlit lights then? Very nice graphics, BTW!
Attachments
tt002.png
tt002.png (48.47 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I find that the shadows on CG elements look a bit strange, e.g. the pillar by the front entrance. A bit more texture (rather than perfectly smooth shading/dithering) on the body of the stadium may look better too.

*edit* Just saw the hotel, amazing!
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

AndersI wrote:Maybe you should make them a bit more like a stack of unlit lights then? Very nice graphics, BTW!
That's the idea I had, and that's what I did. But I think you did a better job than me on that one. Mind if I use your example on my final "product"? :tongue:
Zephyris wrote:I find that the shadows on CG elements look a bit strange, e.g. the pillar by the front entrance. A bit more texture (rather than perfectly smooth shading/dithering) on the body of the stadium may look better too.
Hmm, not sure which one you mean actually... As for the texture itself, I wanted to preserve the original look as much as possible, although the colour tone overall has gone from "brown-reddish" to a more brown one... It has also received slightly more contrast than the original one, but I'll see if I can add more... :))
Zephyris wrote:I seem to remember you were looking for someone to help with all the construction stages and snowy versions of sprites, did you find anyone?
I did a quick count on all the graphics I have produced during the years, and it's close to 700 single pieces - and that's without counting ground terrain tiles, railways, roads, bridges and automata... 8o Thankfully not all of them need construction stages, but snow... ;( Oh well...

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

SAC wrote:Mind if I use your example on my final "product"?
How could I deny you ten pixels?! But looking at the picture on my bad CRT at home, it looks like it needs even more dark pixels to actually show some detail in the lamps. I really need to get a new monitor...
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

g
AndersI wrote:How could I deny you ten pixels?! But looking at the picture on my bad CRT at home, it looks like it needs even more dark pixels to actually show some detail in the lamps. I really need to get a new monitor...
Thanks! And don't worry about the lamps, I'll make some adjustments myself... :))

On yet another note, spent the entire day compiling a list of all new graphics mentioned in a previous post. It was a bit of a mess before, but due to the all the new spaces provided with NewObjects, (the latest changes), I needed to sort out everything and make room for more objects... Rather a huge list, and again - this one is without all ground tiles along with rail, roads and rocks... Oh my... :tongue:

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Tried to save that to have a spy at ur sprites, but its really low resolution. /cry
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Yeah, it's shrinked as it's a 4Mb size piece of graphics. I only wanted to show and give an idea of the amount of graphics created up to this point, all of it currently in use in my own personal game...

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

SAC wrote:
Zephyris wrote:I find that the shadows on CG elements look a bit strange, e.g. the pillar by the front entrance. A bit more texture (rather than perfectly smooth shading/dithering) on the body of the stadium may look better too.
Hmm, not sure which one you mean actually... As for the texture itself, I wanted to preserve the original look as much as possible, although the colour tone overall has gone from "brown-reddish" to a more brown one... It has also received slightly more contrast than the original one, but I'll see if I can add more... :))
See attached for what I mean... Most of the building graphics don't have accurate shadows and when they are present it can look a bit strange.
SAC wrote:
Zephyris wrote:I seem to remember you were looking for someone to help with all the construction stages and snowy versions of sprites, did you find anyone?
I did a quick count on all the graphics I have produced during the years, and it's close to 700 single pieces - and that's without counting ground terrain tiles, railways, roads, bridges and automata... 8o Thankfully not all of them need construction stages, but snow... ;( Oh well...
Sounds like a fun challenge! Fortunately snow is quite easy to draw :D
Attachments
tmp.png
tmp.png (17.16 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Okey, now I see what you mean. I suspected it was the one on the left side, but not the one in the front. In fact, I can somewhat agree with you when it comes to the left concrete wall, but the one in the front is more natural and also distinguish that it's built a bit out from the front... At least I find it good... The other one on the other hand... perhaps remove the shading and make the concrete wall less darker, (where the shadow is), and paint the entire wall similarily...

Return to “Graphics Development”