[WIP] INFRA by SAC

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

:shock:

Great stuff, SAC. I can't believe it's TTD!
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

SAC wrote:I don't think they are small. Compared to the ones included in the Harbor&Freight set they are small.
In another hand yes they look OK :p Just keep up Your good work :)
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Aegir wrote:Oh, and SAC, you never did ask for my permission to use my sprites in your .grf's, but you know what? I don't give a s*** :D. Have fun with them, you have my permission to do whatever you want (Excluding taking over the sets from me in a bloody takeover (That's my job), and making any commercial profit from them) with them, artwork and code included.
No, I didn't! But that's because I haven't used them in any .grf's yet! At least not in anything that's available to others to download. :P I use the "so called" cut and paste method to test out different graphics in my game - as I have no clue as to how stuff should be coded :oops: Thanks to Jezulkim I now have access to an empty station tile .grf that I can use to better test graphics in game before even considering releasing them to others. And I would certainly have asked for your permission as well - before making anything public! :P

But as the case with Born Acorn I certainly appreciate receiving your permission to use any of your station stuff. :D In fact, I've only used the actual station building from the City Station set of yours and added a floor to it, while the rest is used as originally intended with your .grf!

On a related note, some of you may certainly wonder why I use soo many graphics originally made by others. It's not that I don't want to draw things myself, cause I do draw things myself, but as there also are lots of stuff that others have done that are really great to begin with - and stuff that I want to use in my game - I normally improve some of them to better fit my own personal taste - and to better follow the graphics design I have my game evolved into during the time. I presume I should add the text "TTDLX Improver" to my signature below! :P
You might want to redownload my city stations .grf though and get the updated roof textures, they look much better in my oppinion. I made a lot of texture changes all over the place, actually. I wouldn't want for your grf's to look out of place next to my stations
I have it downloaded already! I just haven't gotten around to change it yet!
(Oh, and I absolutely love how you use them in your games, you've really inspired me to fix up the Goods Station that Born Acorn and I were working on :) ).
I'm really glad to hear that! Your City Station is of such a quality to begin with that I couldn't possibly exclude it from my game. And you've included a perfect touch of different tiles which makes it possible to use them in many ways indeed! :P I'm very pleased with your City Stations Aegir! And if you ever consider adding more different tiles to the set, I'd be the first to encourage you - and use them! :P

Edit to add///

Thanks Train-a-Mania and ISA! :P

Oh, and forgot to add; I really look forward to offer you something soon, something usable for a change as you've only been able to watch my screenies and nothing else! That's why I thought of making this particular INFRA-Station set! Even though it doesn't give you access to road/rail network, vehicles or buildings, it's at least a good start! I hope you bare with me as I also work on those other sets! :D
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Two completely new buildings for the Euro-set, both of them commercial downtown buildings;
Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Got any plans to make construction stages for any of the buildings?
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Well, that's a good question! I just hate making construction stages! :P I suppose at one point I'm forced to do it, but anyway... :?

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Well, compared to everything else that get's constructed in game, I'm starting to wonder how buildings would look without construction stages, for the sake of completeness though, I would prefer to see them added.

I'd hate having to draw them all for all the buildings you've already prepared, would be a bit of a monumental task to complete them all :lol:.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Aegir wrote: I'd hate having to draw them all for all the buildings you've already prepared, would be a bit of a monumental task to complete them all :lol:.
You don't say! :P

Well, you're right anyway! Releasing the stuff means that I also need to add construction stages, but I refuse to make more than one, possibly two, for each building! :wink: And don't expect any extraordinary either! A half empty spot with a crane will do! Sure, the construction stage also adds to the realism, but in the end it's the final product that counts! :P

Now, don't get me started on when this is going to happen! I'm already trying to do 5 or 6 projects simultaneously! LOL

WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

just one thing SAC maybe add a scaffolding stage aswell, it doesnt have to be supper complex :D
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

robotboy wrote:just one thing SAC maybe add a scaffolding stage aswell, it doesnt have to be supper complex :D
...a third stage added within a range of some minutes!

Oh well, I'll see what I can do - once I'm there! Image

SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Have a new residential building done!
I have four versions of it so far. One as a highrise on 1x1 tile, and one as 1x2 tile. The other two below are more to fit the Euro-style theme both in height and width!

The two ones below do need some changes if going for any those though!

Any comments?
Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

That looks absolutley fabulous! :shock:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

OH MY GOD :shock:

:bow: That looks AWESOME! :bow:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Altern8or
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Altern8or »

WOW ! I'm looking forward to these. :shock:
Pug
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pug »

Very nice, I'm really looking forward to the complete set, with all those excellent stations and buildings.
Job's a good one.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Oh... you like them that much? Thank you guys! :P

Initially I figured I should give them "company colors" for a better variety, but as it's possible to add new buildings to the game - and above all replace existing ones I gathered it would be more interesting to add variety in the shape of different buildings rather then different colors.

However, the ones pictured above can be used in two possible ways; the highrise ones, white as it is or with some other color, as a residential building in the outskirt of a town - as is the case in many European towns. And the shortened one in the town center, white or with a different color! What do you think?

Or is it perhaps better to draw a bunch of different buildings and then put them all up for a poll or something? You tell me? :P

Psistorm
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Psistorm »

this is a most awesome set you have there! :D I cant wait to play with it, honestly, I love the european style quite a lot.

as for the buildings:
how about implementing different colors for only some of the models? like, the small double block, for example. the others are quite fine the way they are, and look absolutely great :)

another question, whilst Im at it:
support for OTTD has been confirmed for this grf so far - yet Ive failed to get it to work with my OTTD (using miniIN r7007). could anyone give me some hints why? Im not really loading any other grfs that could overwrite the road sprites, so im slightly confused by this.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Psistorm wrote:as for the buildings:
how about implementing different colors for only some of the models? like, the small double block, for example. the others are quite fine the way they are, and look absolutely great :)
I'm not sure if it's possible to sort of "limit" what colors could be used that way. Personally I just hate some of the colors that turns up in game on buildings using the random color structure, but if there was a way to limit them I might consider it. Otherwise I believe repetetive buildings are annoying as hell, and therefor prefer to have one or two similar in a set - but with two different colors! :P

another question, whilst Im at it:
support for OTTD has been confirmed for this grf so far - yet Ive failed to get it to work with my OTTD (using miniIN r7007). could anyone give me some hints why? Im not really loading any other grfs that could overwrite the road sprites, so im slightly confused by this.
Well, the only INFRA-stuff that has been released so far is the tiny little INFRA-Landscape set, and that one only contains replacements for the lighthouse and the transmission tower. And that set has been confirmed - as you state, to be compatible with OTTD.

Roads and whatever has been shown in screenies within this thread have not been released yet. The current situation as far as all the planned INFRA-sets are as follows;

¤ INFRA-Structure

New roads and rails which includes new tunnels, new bridges - among other things. Some changes are still required before this set can be handed over to a coder.

¤ INFRA-Station

"Build-It-Kit" consisting of single 1x1 tiles for use with other station sets, allowing for a personal design of different station structures. Some graphics are still in production before the set can be turned over to a coder.

¤ INFRA-Automata

Improvements of basically buses that includes new liveries and - in some cases - articulated versions not released before. Set mostly finished and will soon be handed over to a coder.

¤ INFRA-Euro

New and improved building structures with a European touch. Still lots of work to do before a release.

¤ INFRA-Landscape

Replacement graphics. Version 0.0 released!

¤ INFRA-Metro

New set aiming for a use of the so called third network, (monorail). Not yet started.

¤ INFRA-Industry

New graphics with focus on ECS. At this point only a few graphics have been completed, among them a Bus Depot, (for fuel and oil), and a Truck Terminal, (fuel and oil).

Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

There's no doubt about it - you rank among the greatest of TTD content creators!
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Thank you! Image

Return to “Graphics Development”