[How-to] Use newgrf sets

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Hey. Sorry for posting in old thread, but look:
The following Newgrf sets work in-game (may be buggy)

DBSet
European Roadset
Newships set
Trafficset (http://www.tt-forums.net/download.php?id=20368)
I'd like to see some screenshots before I download it. Please, give some links
Emeric Pro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Emeric Pro »

MeusH wrote: I'd like to see some screenshots before I download it. Please, give some links
Have you tried looking in graphics section, ttdpatch forums? :?
there are all graphic sets development threads and links to everything you may want about them...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thanks, I've found about road set, db set and trafficset, couldn't find anything about shipset. Anyway, I heard there is lot of bugs with it :(

So DB set is trainset, right? Do I unterstand it correctly?
Emeric Pro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Emeric Pro »

MeusH wrote:couldn't find anything about shipset.
So DB set is trainset, right? Do I unterstand it correctly?
There are new ships existing and working correctly, but i don't know if it works for openttd at the moment (it works perfectly with ttdpatch, but new grf system is different)
DBset is a complete rebuild of the train set, which exists in two versions, normal and XL, the latter doesn't work with openttd as far as i know.
It would be better if i was gliding
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Okay, thanks. So I'm waiting for December OTTD relase with (I hope) newgrf
Barsy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Barsy »

If I had too many Graphic set in OpenTTD.cfg I have an error : too many sprites.Recompile with higher NUM_SPRITES value or remove some custom GRF files

How to change the NUM_SPRITES value ?
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

You can only change it by recompiling the code. As said before newgrf support is all experimental.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

bah, crash.
Attachments
crash.txt
here's the crashlog. in txt.
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

A bunch of hex numbers don't help too much, you know :)
We need a savegame, your config file and the precise circumstances or actions that lead to the crash.

Submitting crash.txt is as useless as asking a 2 year old kid to give the square root of 25.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Darkvater wrote:A bunch of hex numbers don't help too much, you know :)
We need a savegame, your config file and the precise circumstances or actions that lead to the crash.

Submitting crash.txt is as useless as asking a 2 year old kid to give the square root of 25.
i'm sorry, i'm not much of a helping hand here eh... i don't have a save game (since i started a new one from scratch) and i'm far too tired/lazy to look up the details of my install now. :roll: but i installed biggermaps earlier on, and tried to start up with 8 grf files earlier. i didn't start then, and this time i used 4:

Code: Select all

[newgrf]
dbsetxlw.grf
trkfoundw.grf
cargosetw.grf
elrailsw.grf
(i love that code look). :wink:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Ok astath, such as all software companies we can only help you when you use an unmodified version of the game! This means using a nightly for example. "installing" biggermaps is non-official and if it crashes we have no idea what crashes it; you should contact the guy that made the patch.

And why is this in OTTD Graphics?
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

if crash.txt hex nums don't help much, what exactly is the point of creating them (these files) in the first place?
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

It looks cool, no?
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Moriarty wrote:if crash.txt hex nums don't help much, what exactly is the point of creating them (these files) in the first place?
They can only be analyzed when an official build is used. And of course we would need to know which one. If those are known there is a chance someone is able trace the problem back.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

They can only be analyzed when an official build is used. And of course we would need to know which one. If those are known there is a chance someone is able trace the problem back.
"official build" being one of the nightlies? Surely if you MD5 the nightly you have a unique ID for it. put the MD5 of the the openttd.exe file into crash.txt and you have something u can check for the version number to ensure it's "official".
Or am I being obtuse again? ;)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

are buildings supposed to work? Im having trouble replacing the Helipad.
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

Ok now I know how to use new grf sets....

Now my most stupid question in centuries: where can I download some new grf sets?

The answer is probably to simple and knocks me right over, but I have searched half the forum for any linx to or uploads of new grf files...
Never fear, I is here...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

Thanx!
Never fear, I is here...
fire87
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by fire87 »

And I might be even more stupid.. At home I have tried installing several GRF's, but not getting any of them to work.. I'd put the [newgrf] at the bottom of the openttd.cfg and added some railsets but.. Where should those sets be to get them to work? I tried in the OpenTTD-folder and the data-folder, and none of them worked!

Sorry for asking such a stupid question, it should be as easy as it is in TTDPatch, just create a folder named newgrf and add all graphic there (I even tried that)..
I hope for a answer soon.. And BTW: I'm using nightly build r1147 (atleast that what's it stands) :?
Currently working on:

Norwegian (NSB) Trainset
Topic | Website

Return to “Graphics Development”