Using what exists to make a more complete 32bpp set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Using what exists to make a more complete 32bpp set

Post by extrem123 »

@ Lord Aro:
I think that the local developers and designers have done a lot, but their work was not associated in a common package.
BTW: I think OpenTTD32bpp is simply better than other games. The internal logic of TTD works great and the graphics is very catchy...
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

Yexo wrote:
OPS wrote:That quote isn't massively clear on its own but you have taken it out of context of the thread and everything I've said before. If you took the time to read the entire thread you would know this. Planetmaker made it perfectly clear the first time and lord helped me find authors licenses.
Apologies if we're a bit too careful, but there have been many people that don't get it at all and just redistribute without permission. So when a statement like yours is not completely clear on it's own someone will err on the side of caution and warn you.
I appreciate the apology but I'm not really looking for one. I'd prefer it if people just gave visitors a chance and be a little more positive. Especially if they show any interest in trying to help further the project.

I don't think its unreasonable to expect people who have been around a while and know how things work to be able to read a thread fully before jumping in. And someone as prominent in the project as planetmaker would be the last I would expect to find making such personal comments as the ones made towards extreme. There are many ways of going about things, some are much more positive than others. I feel like my initial enthusuasm for the project is being drained away here. :(
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

OPS wrote:
Michi_cc wrote:
OPS wrote:Everything included in the pack is only what is already released, and therefore already has compatible licenses.
This is a wrong statement unless with "compatible license" you mean an explicit statement like "I allow redistributing my graphics" (or an explicit license declaration that includes such provisions, like GPL or CC-*).

If no such statement exists, normal copyright laws apply which thus means "all rights reserved". Most jurisdictions I know of will infer from an upload to this forum an implicit permission to use it as intended, i.e. to download and use it with OpenTTD. This does not include the permission to redistribute, include in an compilation or modify it.
That quote isn't massively clear on its own but you have taken it out of context of the thread and everything I've said before. If you took the time to read the entire thread you would know this. Planetmaker made it perfectly clear the first time and lord helped me find authors licenses.
I apologize if this came across as a personal attack, it wasn't intended that way. I just wanted to point out generally to everybody reading here (not you specifically) that simply "releasing" something (e.g. uploading it here or on any associated site) is not the same as giving a license.

-- Michael Lutz
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I apologize to extrem123 for the use of the words 'lazy' and 'greed'.

Also sorry, if you think that I accuse you of sloppy working - that's not true. On the contrary, I want you to succeed in your endeavour - why else would we be asking for sprites if we wouldn't care?

I very much appreciate you sorting through the mess of licenses and creating a sound pack which *can* be distributed - though I wonder whether Jupix server doesn't host an up-to-date version. It is VERY tedious work as there's not a single license for this project which was chosen initially. Sadly a mistake made back years ago and which cost lots of nice sprites. In this project and elsewhere.

While it was never intended as personal attack, I think this whole thread shows also well that a word of caution with license issues here and there is not wrong:
OPS wrote:"why not just reuse existing graphics"(...)
I managed to find a couple more uncoded graphics that were too unique to reuse existing ones, so I coded them and added them in.(...)I would be happy to upload it if there is a demand and it is ok for me to do so. I don't know who created most of the stuff I have used
and later after a word of caution
OPS wrote:
maquinista wrote:The main problem is that You need permission before You use the graphics.
This is for my own use until this issue is resolved.
Good. But many things written in this thread are easily mis-understood and in order to avoid other people jumping to false conclusions, I rather make things clear. Later again we have to read:
Michi_cc wrote:
OPS wrote:Everything included in the pack is only what is already released, and therefore already has compatible licenses.
This is a wrong statement unless with "compatible license" you mean an explicit statement like "I allow redistributing my graphics" (or an explicit license declaration that includes such provisions, like GPL or CC-*). If no such statement exists, normal copyright laws apply which thus means "all rights reserved".
But here we go, all is fine.
OPS wrote: I had the same problem as you. Took me a long time to gather everything that is publicly available and work it all out. I could put together a revised pack without the dubious tiles that don't have a clear license.
Now:
extrem123 wrote:@ OPS:Don't worry about (...) licence issues. I'm (...) waiting for your package release. :)
Right...
* One obviously *does* have to worry about licenses - way more than is fun.
* This and other postings here are written such that they can be very easily misunderstood.
* Anything which can be mis-understood in terms of how licenses work and on when and how things can be distributed has already been mis-understood previously. A forum search on such things will not be fun but will bring many such examples. Thus I often comment on postings which can be misunderstood in this manner - both to avoid flame wars and work being wasted.
Yexo wrote:Apologies if we're a bit too careful, but there have been many people that don't get it at all and just redistribute without permission. So when a statement like yours is not completely clear on it's own someone will err on the side of caution and warn you.
A statement I subscribe to fully, too.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

I've split the project management discussion that ensued into the relevant thread. Let's keep this thread about developing OPS's megapack.
#################
Jatinbattan09
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jatinbattan09 »

Hey how to download it tell me pls :bow:
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Jatinbattan09 wrote: 02 May 2024 11:08 Hey how to download it tell me pls :bow:
Eh - have you seen that this topic was last updated in 2011 - thirdteen (13) years ago?!?

Very likely all the discussion is totally outdated, does not apply to the current OTTD version 14 and some users are not active anymore.

Use the in-game content download function or check separately at

https://bananas.openttd.org/package/newgrf?

where you can also narrow down the NewGRFs by selecting "HasHighRes = yes" from the menue. The most extensive high-res sets are those from CZTR but they are partially incomplete and development is on hold since the people involved have other priorities at the moment (= a real life, family, and job)
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

Return to “Graphics Development”