Bad German translations

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Head
Engineer
Engineer

Bad German translations

Post by Head »

In this thread I want to collect bad German translations.

* when building a station, it should be "Zeige Einzugsgebiet" instead of "Gehe zur Ansicht des Gebiets"
* in the same window, the caption should be "Bahnhof bauen" instead of "Zugstation bauen"
* when buying trains, the unit PS (horsepower) is for "Leistung", not for "Kraft"
* "Wartungs-Zeitraum" should be "Wartungsintervall" instead
* when the newspaper reports "Neues Flugzeug ist jetzt Verfügbar", "verfügbar" should start with a small v
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

I changed the appropriate lines in the language file and submitted them as a patch to SF.

Right now monorail is called "Einschienenbahn" in the german translation. I think this sounds strange, "Monorail" could be used in German as well (as in the french and swedish translation). What do you think?
horschi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by horschi »

yeah, monorail would be much better. "Einschienenbahn" sounds like something my grandmother would say ;-)
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

OK, if no one objects I'll change "Einschienenbahn" to "Monorail".
Head
Engineer
Engineer

more

Post by Head »

* When clicking on an oil field, it says "10,000Liter Öl". There's a space missing, and the comma should be a dot instead.

* When a mine disaster happens, "Kohlebergwerk-Stolleneinbruch" should have a hyphen.

* "Finnische Mark" should be "Finnmark" instead

* "Belgische Frank" should be "Belgischer Franc" instead.

* In the options window, the other languages need translation

* Schnappschussformat sounds odd, just call it Screenshotformat

* When buying trains, "Fassungsvermögen" should be replaced with "Kapazität". Kapazität is shorter, and it's used in other places, e.g. train details.

* What about changing kmh<sup>-1</sup> to km/h? km/h is much more common than the scientific format.

* There should always be a space between a number and it's unit, e.g. "50 km/h" instead of "50km/h".

* Maybe we should turn around city name and industry name. "Lingen Kraftwerk" would then become "Kraftwerk Lingen", "Schweinfurt Sägewerk" would become "Sägewerk Schweinfurt", which sounds much better and gives sentences with correct grammar.

* In the infrastructure map view, "Bahnstation" should become "Bahnhof". There are also some more occurences of "Zugstation".

* City names: "Latein-Amerikanisch" -> "Lateinamerikanisch"

* Lists of all vehicles: Train list is called "XY Transport Züge" which is correct, but airplane and road vehicle lists are called "Straßenfahrzeug" and "Flugzeug -". Should all be plural, and without the hyphen after "Flugzeuge".
Head
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Head »

* "Kautschukplantagen" should produce "Kautschuk" instead of "Plastik". Space before "Liter" is also missing here.
* "Wasserlager" should be "Wasserquelle" or something.
Head
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Head »

What do you think of "Wasserpumpen" instead of "Wasserlager"?
Hotspotter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hotspotter »

Head wrote:* "Wasserlager" should be "Wasserquelle" or something.
I think it should be "Wasserturm".

Gruß Hotspotter
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

OT posts split to OT forum.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

I corrected most things in current SVN.
Head wrote: * What about changing kmh<sup>-1</sup> to km/h? km/h is much more common than the scientific format.

* There should always be a space between a number and it's unit, e.g. "50 km/h" instead of "50km/h".
Those are mistakes in OTTD, not only in the German version. I've fixed them as well.
Head wrote: * Maybe we should turn around city name and industry name. "Lingen Kraftwerk" would then become "Kraftwerk Lingen", "Schweinfurt Sägewerk" would become "Sägewerk Schweinfurt", which sounds much better and gives sentences with correct grammar.
Not as simple, because this format is static for all languages.
Head wrote:* "Kautschukplantagen" should produce "Kautschuk" instead of "Plastik". Space before "Liter" is also missing here.
The space before "Liter" was also a bug in all languages and is now fixed.
Head wrote:* "Wasserlager" should be "Wasserquelle" or something.
Head wrote:What do you think of "Wasserpumpen" instead of "Wasserlager"?
I changed it to "Wasserquelle".

And I also changed "Einschienenbahn" to "Monorail".

Thanks for any further suggestions for corrections.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”