New twist on TT

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

New twist on TT

Post by Mambaru »

A little while ago I had a crazy thought. What if there was a way in which to change Transport Tycoon into a sorta War zone Tycoon.

Here’s how I saw it working.

You would have to change all of the towns, villages and cities into war zones. Each of these would require the delivery of Reinforcements (by bus) and then have you trucking out Casualties, from a little M.A.S.H unit (truck depot).

Obviously the more that you supply a War zone area the bigger it would get. You would see this represented by having the buildings change to little sandbag bunkers and then have blast holes, which would appear and disappear from time to time.

You could also build Airports to have like a kind of Berlin airlift like situation. This would allow your company to deliver more ammo, troops, etc. more effectively.

The steel mills of old would now produce tanks which can also be transported to the larger War zones (like when a town grows large enough to accept Goods). As well as there being a few other changes to existing industries. Also there would need to be a hospital zone to take the casualties to.

The subsidies that you used to get from time to time would still be there but they would be for things like "A big imminent push." The only thing here which I would change from traditional Tycoon is that it should not be based upon the first company to get there. But upon delivery of a set amount of goods. Like for instance 100 crates of Ammo, or 1000 Troops.

Yes I know it sounds like I've lost the plot a little. But at the time this did sound like a neat idea.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

It could probably be done with newgrf files, but you're not going to see this implemented in the core game. The game has a long heritage of being a constructive game, and war is, by nature, destructive.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mambaru »

Yup that's what I thought. Hence why I thought it would be nice to see it done from a logistical point of view.

I'm not talking serious mass killings etc...

T'was just an interesting twist that I would have liked to have seen. If I knew enough about the general makeup of OTTD then I'd do it myself but I've just not got the time of late. Nor am I graphicly minded.

There was a lot more too this but I had a funny feeling that given current circumstances, it's not a good subject.
Last edited by Mambaru on 06 May 2006 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Lostintheplot
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Lostintheplot »

I just want a button to drop bombs on the other company's stuff :D
Scenarios that I have made: ECML - Brighton-Cardiff
Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mambaru »

In that respect I'd just a like a more inteligent AI. One that does not build stupid rail routes. Or leave passenger airliners on FULL LOAD!
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Mambaru wrote:In that respect I'd just a like a more inteligent AI. One that does not build stupid rail routes. Or leave passenger airliners on FULL LOAD!
If you want intelligent opposition, play online.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

You can also watch and probably support OpenTTD.GPMI
Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mambaru »

Well at least I know that it's possible.

Now I'll just slink away and see if it's anything that I can make happen. As I still think that it's a neat idea.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Brianetta wrote:
Mambaru wrote:In that respect I'd just a like a more inteligent AI. One that does not build stupid rail routes. Or leave passenger airliners on FULL LOAD!
If you want intelligent opposition, play online.
:lol:

Yeah, sure. :D Although the chance indeed is far higher.

Anyhow - interesting idea. Now - is there anyone who would have the enthusiasm needed to draw the grfs? (The game_AI is being improved by every new nightly build, thanks to the developers...)
Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mambaru »

I think that I'll sit down and turn a few of my notes into a text doc. They deal mostly with what industries can be adjusted as apposed to adding completly new ones. I'm hoping that it will save time.
BoominGranny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BoominGranny »

hate to be a party pooper - but i read in the wiki objectives
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Objectives

"To provide a game that is free from war themes and conflict; hence suitable for all age groups. "
Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mambaru »

Well it would appear that I have not completly read the wiki.

But it still does not completly deter me. As after all this was only an idea that I would have liked to have seen happen. Also the wiki is there to provide a guideline for OpenTTD. This (should it ever happen) would be the equilavent to a Mod. Something which only those interested in it's concept would download and enjoy.

Hey don't mind me I'm still enjoying OTTD as it stands and look forward to the day new industries and gameplay enhanceing features land.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I think it is a good idea to implement your idea, of war like theming.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mambaru »

Many thanks! :D

I did consider for a moment. What if it were possible to do like in Challenge Spinoff 2, and have each player compete for each a war zone. That way it would not all boil down to who has the most money.
Thalass
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Thalass »

As a separate game, it is a pretty nifty idea. If nothing else, as a logistics addon to the current genre of RTS games (since that's usually limited to " gather resources"). But as a mode for OTTD... it's not really what the game is about. :P
Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mambaru »

Possibly but I have to admit that there is very little S in RTS games these days. Most of the ones that are out there at the moment all tend to cater to the quick fix genereation. That is only a handful of units to create and maybe a building or two, so as not to confuse people.

But I think that I am moving off topic a little here.

I am more than sure that once the Newgrf's are inplace it would not take too long to make this a reality. Hell I'm looking at the Wiki at the moment to see how to make it all possible. :lol:
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

great to see new ideas but as Boomin Granny said:
hate to be a party pooper - but i read in the wiki objectives
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Objectives

"To provide a game that is free from war themes and conflict; hence suitable for all age groups. "
Open TTD is a peacful game about building a transport empire how can you do this in a war zone?
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

at one time somebody wanted to add a weapon factory (to a normal game), but it was rejected due to the non-war like game. If you want something war themed, then it's easy to get games of that genre elsewhere.

As for your specific idea, I think it would suck big time. Either you remove the construction part (the fun part) or you will have to construct, but just having new cargo types and vehicles, and that would be kind of like a new toyland.
Mambaru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mambaru »

Given all of the remarks on this 'concept' I think I'll have the moderators bury the topic.

Thank you one and all.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Mambaru wrote:Given all of the remarks on this 'concept' I think I'll have the moderators bury the topic.

Thank you one and all.
it was already dead to begin with since we already decided not to include war into this game. It's in all the other games and we intend to make a constructive game.

Return to “General OpenTTD”