The Nations Game Mk.III

Want to let off some steam? Come and join in our forum-based games.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Forum rules
No consecutive posting in word games. If starting a new game, please check to see if there is already a similar game - such topics are likely to be locked.

Starting year and timerate?

Poll ended at 28 Feb 2015 06:12

Year 0, 1 day = 25 years until 1500
13%
Year 1500, 1 day = 5 years until 1800
63%
Year 1800, 1 day = 2 years, 1 week = 2 years from 1900
No votes
Year 1900, 1 week = 2 years
25%

Total votes: 8

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

The Nations Game Mk.III

Post by Emperor Jake »

Hello and welcome to the continuation of the infamous forum based political role playing game; The Nations Game! Previous incarnations include the Map Game, the Nations Game and the Nations Game MkII.

I think it's prudent to start a new thread for a new game since these can run for hundreds of pages, and the beginnings and ends of games easily get lost in the many pages. The game was at its peak during the first Nations Game thread, and interest died sometime through MkII. However, interest to restart the game has recently flared up again, and I hope this thread is the place to do it :)

I have created a new fantasy world map based on the Winkel-Tripel world map that was used in the previous 2 games. This should refresh interest and mix things up by playing in a completely different environment. To get an idea of this unfamiliar world's biomes and landscape features, view this map. (also available in GIMP .xcf) As the map creator, I get first dibs of land. :P I've also renewed the icons and charts on the map, and made the country name section bigger so people can fit in the names of capitals and leaders.

Timescale: It has been decided to start in 1500 and continue with 1 day = 5 years until 1800. As 1800 nears a new poll will be put up.

Naming land features: I have uploaded a map of fantasy names for major land features on the map. Please feel free to post your own suggestions :)

As for the rules, I've added a bit about the abandoned countries. If anyone knows any more "de-facto" rules which could be written down, please post them.
EDIT: I added a bit about an impartial war moderator. Thoughts?

--LIST OF RULES--
  1. STARTUP AND GENERAL RULES
    1. One country per person
    2. Size: Countries must initially not be larger than the US (10 mln sq km). Size on earth must be kept smaller than 18 mln sq km and may be vetoed (see Rule 3.1)
    3. Slight terraforming is permitted, but no moving of large landmasses like continents
    4. Technology may be introduced at approximately the appropriate time according to the in-game time rate and year. Development of advanced technology (e.g. nuclear tech, rockets, aircraft carriers etc) must be announced be forever it is completed. Technologies that are too early for the timeframe or implausible may be vetoed (see Rule 3.1)
  2. WARS AND SECESSIONS
    1. Wars are to be fought with reasonable horses. Some aspects may be vetoed (see Rule 3.1) if necessary. During armed conflict a player may not report casualties or damages done to the other party, the other party must respond to attacks in a way that is considered realistic.
    2. To enforce this, each war will have an independent War Moderator. This can be any player who is not involved in the war in question, players must revoke the moderator position if they wish to join the war. If there is more than one war, players may moderate each other's wars, but never their own wars. (PENDING)
    3. The War Moderator has the power to adjust players' losses and veto attacks or land advances that are considered unrealistic. (PENDING)
    4. Nukes may not be overused and must have a blast radius of less than 0.5 miles. Abuse of this rule can be vetoed (see Rule 3.1).
    5. Seceding is permitted, only if the owner of a country decides it. The new territory must merge with another country or become a new, separate country administered by someone else.
  3. ADMINISTRATIVE RULES
    1. Veto Power: If a player disagrees with another's action, they may veto the action. At least two players are needed for the veto to succeed and the action to be taken back. Moderator's word is supreme to all other players, EXCEPT when the moderator is alone in his/her position. If this is the case, the moderator will be overridden (to prevent abuse).
    2. Rule Changing: After these initial rules are agreed upon, a majority vote is required to change a rule. A game moderator counts as two votes.
    3. Restarting: A 4:1 consensus is required to restart. Game mods count as two votes.
  4. GAMEPLAY
    1. Events within Countries: Events within a country may only be reported by the owner of that country, unless an act of war, a large scale disaster (e.g. Tsunami) or pre-agreed by the owner of that country (either within thread or via PM)
    2. Abandoned Countries: No longer used countries will be removed upon request or after 1 month of inactivity. Other countries must provide a realistic reason for expanding into the leftover land, and must not take all of the land.
Attachments
NationsGame.PNG
(207.96 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
fantasynames.PNG
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 17 Feb 2015 09:38, edited 5 times in total.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Nations Game Mk.III

Post by YNM »

So a restart... Well, fairly done map anyway. Think of it after the film 2012 actually happened... Anyway, are you sure other would do ?
--------

Khanate of Maraus Announced It's Existence To Other Islands !

"On this flat world, we are the... well, no, we shouldn't be alone."

Pop. around 200.000
Only have things as advertised on the map.
Attachments
NationsGame.PNG
(205.88 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Wait a second; in the last game we were going by 3 days = 1 year, not 1 day = 3 years.

Also, I recall a suggestion to start in Medieval times before the MkII started. Are we sticking with 1800?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Start in the 1000 or 1300 maybe... ? If so, 1 day IRL = 3 years in-game would be fine (unless we are very lazy of course).
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Here's the thing: If we're starting earlier than 1800, then the timerate will have to be much much faster so we don't have to play for many months with pre-industrial technology. What we need is a timescale that decreases speed based on the era, similar to the way Civilization 5 does it.

Also, the 3 days to 1 year timerate would be much easier to track if it were 7 days = 2 years, so we know to advance 2 years every e.g. Sunday.

Here's my proposal:
  • From 0 to 1500, the timerate is 1 day = 25 years, and it will take 60 days.
    From 1500 to 1800, the timerate is 1 day = 5 years, and it will take 60 days.
    From 1800 to 1900, the timerate is 1 day = 2 years, and it will take 50 days.
    From 1900 to 2000, the timerate is 1 day = 1 year, and it will take 100 days.
    From 2000 onwards, the timerate slows to 7 days = 2 years for however long the game continues.
At these rates combined, 0-2000 will take just under 9 months, but with plenty of time using industrial and world war technologies. However if people want we could start at the beginning of any era, such as skipping directly to 1800 like previous games. However if we decide to start as late as 1800 then we should use 1 week = 2 years from 1900 onwards. I'll put up a poll.

As for the game, the year will be 0 until an agreement is reached.

MAP UPDATED
NationsGame2.PNG
(214.98 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I was thinking 1500 or so? Maybe backtracking further to the 15th or 14th centuries would make for some fun conquests across the new globe.

I do, however, officially move that we keep the progress of time at a halt until we're sure about the date.

---

MAP UNLOCKED

Kingdom of Caspia
Leader: King Dhruvi I
Capital: Korb
Population: c. 175,000
Attachments
NationsGame2.PNG
(216.74 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Start in 2070, we can actually see some late game play..
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

So where's that messiah, if we start from 0 AD... :mrgreen:
By your original idea Jake, starting from 0 isn't really bad, only regarding catching uo things...
Sapphire united wrote:Start in 2070, we can actually see some late game play..
But it's not so fun, because nations would be larger from start (no conquering, no roleplaying, no inventing, unknown tech level). And it'd gone peace and/or crazy quite fast ; our intention is to play however long we want... And we have reached 2400 (i think, ask other players) previously, starting from 1800 or so.

My idea : start on years just before imperialism occur. This'd stimulate moves, and also no need for getting the game very fast (1 day IRL = 1 year would be fine). We seem to be getting bussier lately (well, no reading, no log in) so there's no real need to catch fast. Just as long as we don't completely forget the game. It'll be slowed down on 1850 into 2 days IRL = 1 year. 3 days IRL = 1 year by 1920 (alternatively 1 week IRL = 2 years), and 1 week IRL = 1 year by 1980. We could even do 2014-2015 in a month, then reverting to 1 week IRL = 1 year until we start to be space-faring (which will be 3 days IRL = 1 year).

I don't really know...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Sapphire united wrote:Start in 2070, we can actually see some late game play..
I don't think you were around for the first "Nations Game" and the last "Map Game", those both went far into the future. But even if it's the year zero, we can still have fun, trade, wars and stuff. It's just a lot slower, hence the faster progression of time :D

I personally don't think it makes sense to start later than 1900, as much of the most interesting parts of recent history happened in the 20th century. Feel free to vote for 1900 if you want to try and speed things along.
YNM wrote:My idea : start on years just before imperialism occur.
So, 1500? That's roughly around the time when European civilisations started exploring and expanding into the new world, and forming large empires.
YNM wrote:We seem to be getting bussier lately (well, no reading, no log in) so there's no real need to catch fast. Just as long as we don't completely forget the game.
Well, we don't want the game to drag on for way too long either...

---

The King plans to expand Mediterrania into the southern peninsula and eventually reach Black Island. However, the area is populated by pirates and bandits, so our horse of Triremes and Cataphracts is being sent in to help deal with the situation.

While exploring to the south, a group of Mediterranean triremes has discovered the Kingdom of Caspia. We welcome our newfound neighbours to the south, and we offer Wine and Cotton for export.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Emperor Jake wrote:
YNM wrote:My idea : start on years just before imperialism occur.
So, 1500? That's roughly around the time when European civilisations started exploring and expanding into the new world, and forming large empires.
Yeah... It'd also allow for a better roleplay least for me haha. I've said to start announcing... on this flat world...
Emperor Jake wrote:
YNM wrote:We seem to be getting busier lately (well, no reading, no log in) so there's no real need to catch fast. Just as long as we don't completely forget the game.
Well, we don't want the game to drag on for way too long either...
But too short and I'll skip a century (I'll be out 1 - 20 March. Then... well, already just below the last high school grade...).

EDIT : Regarding tech progression, this should be dependent entirely over how the in-game science goes by. Remember, it's not really the planet Earth... it might even not humans (but I do understand for simplicity we are thinking it's Earth just with different landmasses). Like, say, if I already get some rock melting while burned, then we start to take out these rock outcrops, that's mining right ? If we decided to get inte the Earth to take more things, then an explosion happened while the hammer (or... uh, I forgot the name) smashed the rock... Black things pour out... that's your first oilfield ?

EDIT 2 : I've saw how the map game went. Certainly the forum were more bustling anyway, also the rules were very different (the elcamo/elcano posted). Maybe, to take in more people, do that again ? :mrgreen:

Also, so now we are starting ?
--------
In-game :

The Khan already announced that we should actually carry our message by men. Not just by message bottle... Some ships are starting to sail North.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Are we set on 1500 then? I call keeping track of years again :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I liked doing that.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

For the 19th centurt, judging from the previous games' experience I am afraid it would be a bit too quick to have 1 day = 2 years and many would have missed a lot if they are out or so.

1 day = 1 year seems a better alternative.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I think that was a typo. The Nations Game had a 1:1 ratio IIRC up until 2000, and the Nations Game MkII had 3 days to a year.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Zakos wrote: Are we set on 1500 then? I call keeping track of years again

Seriously though, I liked doing that.
Looks like it's settled on 1500. I've actually started putting the year on the map, I can't believe we didn't think of it earlier. :roll:

Lots of awesome stuff happened in the 1500s. Early scientists and philosophers, Renaissance artists, exploration and conquest, early use of gunpowder...
siu238X wrote:For the 19th centurt, judging from the previous games' experience I am afraid it would be a bit too quick to have 1 day = 2 years and many would have missed a lot if they are out or so.

1 day = 1 year seems a better alternative.
Sounds like a decent idea, 1 day = 1 year for 1800-1900 for 100 days, then 1 week = 2 years from 1900 onwards perhaps? We'll decide when we get there.

The year has been set to 1500, the timerate is 1 day = 5 years or 1 week = 35 years. (I think week-based timerates are easier to keep track of)

---

The Mediterranean Kingdom has finally expanded to the Abarian Peninsula and established a stronghold on Black Island. A fort and naval base was built there to protect the waters from the pirates that roam the area. The small port town of Puerto Pollo is becoming a trading hub.

Some of the King's exploration ships have met the Khanate of Maraus across the ocean to the west. Once again, we offer our goods of Wine, Cotton and Copper.

Map updated
NationsGame3.PNG
(220.18 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
APDAF
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by APDAF »

Holy Bretonnian Empire formed.

The New nation of Bretonnia maybe large but it is lacking in certain resources and is looking for new imports of iron and other low value goods in exchange of it's gold and silver.

P.S. I was rushed doing this post so it will be edited.
Attachments
Nations Game.png
(209.87 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Visit my screenshot thread--> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54118
If you want to have a go at War Thunder, PM me, I have an invite code.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Emperor Jake wrote:Some of the King's exploration ships have met the Khanate of Maraus across the ocean to the west. Once again, we offer our goods of Wine, Cotton and Copper.
We are welcoming our new neighbor (uh, strangers ? We didn't knew anyone else lived that far, think of my country as a bit of closed) Kingdom of Mediterrania. We are wishing to explore your lands and probably trading some things (we offer woods, fruits and coal, metals). We are quite interested with your plushy white ball, which might be useful for stuffing (what you call cotton). The Khan did tels us to carry the message of our existence anywhere, so we are following you back to your nation.

Following the shores of Mediterrania, we found that the lands to the east are actually contained by a kingdom, but we don't seem to devour any information what's the name of that kingdom (for sure it's not mediterrania). - Hint Zakos...
---

The Khan now sends three more ships to join the great spreading of message (or the great exploration) across the Flat World. Our intention is to search what are the edges of it. A ship was sent Northwest, West, and another voyage across the mountains to see where the mountain ends. Additionally, indigenous populations of Macara Island (the island to our west which looked like Madagascar IRL) have asked to join our Khanate, seeing the large exploration we have started.
----------

O/T : I think we should name features on the map (and provide a map which contains them). I don't want we call places the way we called it on Earth...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

YNM wrote:O/T : I think we should name features on the map (and provide a map which contains them). I don't want we call places the way we called it on Earth...
I was thinking the same thing. I'll plop some names on the biomes map.

---
YNM wrote:The Khan now sends three more ships to join the great spreading of message (or the great exploration) across the Flat World. Our intention is to search what are the edges of it.
A Mediterranean philosopher, Nicolaus Copernicus, thinks that the world is in fact spherical, and that it travels around the sun alongside the other planets.

Meanwhile, a Church called Chiesa Zekila has been set up in Cittàgazze, which opposes this view and preaches the Geocentric view of the universe.

The King's East and West exploration fleets hope to meet again and encircle the world. We have passed by the Holy Empire of Bretonnia, and hope to begin trading. May we ask what makes it Holy?

Mediterrania now offers Olive Oil for export. We can also offer Marble, alongside basic resources such as iron, wood and coal. We would like to import Silver as it is scarce in our kingdom, and exotic timbers are always in demand.
APDAF
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by APDAF »

When the explorers arrive they are taken to the Imperial Palace and are forced to kneel in front of the Empress.

You may ask what makes my Empire so Holy... but you are not yet worthy of the answer... unless you prove to be so...
Though your offer interests me greatly... name your turns for one hundred tons of sliver a week?

-HHRIM Empress Mathilde I
Visit my screenshot thread--> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54118
If you want to have a go at War Thunder, PM me, I have an invite code.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Emperor Jake wrote:The year has been set to 1500, the timerate is 1 day = 5 years or 1 week = 35 years. (I think week-based timerates are easier to keep track of)
I'll keep close tabs on it. As creator of the thread, will you appoint me official timekeeper?

Either way:

YEAR CHECK: 1500 as of 16 Feb, 2015

---

Explorers, sent out in search of areas for expansion, have discovered two other previously unknown civilizations. King Dhruvi has appointed several men as ambassadors to officially welcome both of our neighbors. They carry the message:
Salutations from His Majesty Dhruvi I
We the people of the kingdom of Caspia welcome your presence. As our neighbors, I personally request that our nations may forge a strong bond so that we can all thrive. We would be greatly appreciative if you would accept this request to be new trading partners and potential allies, and to allow for easier travel between your nation and ours. May you all walk in the grace of Jibbers Crabst.

Gamespeak: We want to build roads between our nation and yours (Jake + APDAF) and trade :P
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Zakos wrote:I'll keep close tabs on it. As creator of the thread, will you appoint me official timekeeper?
Sure, just update the current year in the map if it hasn't been already. Because of my timezone, i'll usually get to it first but I might not post every day.

Regarding names of geographical features, I've uploaded a map in the first post. Feel free to suggest more names or any changes :)

---

Ground troops have landed on Black Island and have begun advancing on the bandit strongholds. Caspian horses are also heading there to assist.

Nicolaus Copernicus narrowly escapes a Chiesa Zekila lynch mob in Cittàgazze! He has shut himself up in a tower in the nearby hills and continues his studies.

The King's exploration ships have continued mapping the oceans and continents, and discovered a few barbarian strongholds along the way. They have begun giving names to previously uncharted areas.

@Zakos A team has started surveying the road to the southeast to connect our kingdoms. It will mostly follow the coast and cross the hills to your nearest town.

@APDAF We will send you a merchant vessel filled with samples of each of our main exports (copper, cotton, wine, olive oil, plus basic goods like coal and iron), and to see what is in demand, Just pay us the value in silver. More iron will be on its way as our mines catch up. We are pleased to engage in trade relations with your empire.

Map updated
NationsGame_1505.PNG
(194.65 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Return to “Forum Games”